Lyman 57k

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Brent

Lyman 57k

Post by Brent »

Is the Lyman 57 for Krags a "no-drill" sight like the Pacific?

I have a sporter that I would like to fit with a 57 but I don't know how they attach and I do not want to drill my rifle at this point.

Thanks,
Brent

butlersrangers

Re: Lyman 57k

Post by butlersrangers »

Lyman did not make a 'no-drill' receiver sight for the Krag. Lyman receiver sights had to be 'drill & tap'. (The exception would be their 'tang' sight, which was adapted to mount on a Striker-Rod Knob, that was specially 'dove-tailed').

For 'no-drill' sights, you are pretty much limited to the Redfield and Pacific models, made for that application on the Krag, and the Rice sight that 'bolted' and 'clamped' to the bolt-sleeve.ImageImageImageImage

Brent

Post by Brent »

Thanks for the information. I have a Pacific like the one on the far left of your photo. I'll just learn to stick with that. I would like a little greater capability for windage adjustability and repeatable elevations. But this will do.

Thanks again,
Brent

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Brent:
The K-1 Pacific is a nice sight and, like the Redfield 102K, convenient for removing the bolt. They both can be pre-set for a convenient return to sighted-in elevation. The micrometer versions are not so good for bolt removal.

Brent

Post by Brent »

Does anyone make apertures for the Pacific? I would like a somewhat tighter one than what I have now.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

U.S. apertures are a pretty standard thread between makers. Lyman and William's apertures will fit most old U.S. sights.

RichWIS

Post by RichWIS »

Lyman made a Model 34 that was a no-drill sight for the Krag.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

If I recall correctly, the Lyman No.34 sight for the Krag required extra tapped holes in the receiver, as well as, the removal of some wood. Image

S.B.

Post by S.B. »

Is the Lyman 57 for Krags a "no-drill" sight like the Pacific?

I have a sporter that I would like to fit with a 57 but I don't know how they attach and I do not want to drill my rifle at this point.

Thanks,
Brent

The Lyman 57K requires drilling two holes on the bolt handle side of the receiver. The only sight I'm familiar with that's no drill is the Redfield 102K.
Steve
The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson