Amoskeag auction

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
gnoahhh

Amoskeag auction

Post by gnoahhh »

It was brought to my attention that some of Mark Benenson's Krag collection is coming up in a March auction at Amoskeag. Mark collected primarily custom Krags which may or may not interest some people, but I know he was also a sucker for pristine originals too. Regardless, he demanded quality and his collection showed it. The Jerry Fisher Krag sporter is absolutely to die for, IMO.

reincarnated

Re: Amoskeag auction

Post by reincarnated »

This was posted on another forum where a custom Krag from Mark Benenson's collection was discussed.

"I think maybe the U.S. Military made a sows ear out of a silk purse when it adopted the Krag. Every one I have shot is slicker than the slickest of custom guns, and most are boringly accurate and reliable for a hunting rifle. A well done sporterized Krag is a thing of beauty, and that one is certainly well done!"

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

The Amoskeag auction catalog is on line.

http://www.amoskeagauction.com/index.html

I did not count the Krags in the auction, but there are lots of them. Maybe 50? Maybe more. Custom hunting rifles by most of the big name makers; Stoeger, Sedgely, Niedner, etc., etc. Every kind of Krags you can think of & some you cannot. There are 2 nice sporters in .35 Winchester and .405 Winchester that I saw & fired a couple of owners back. The oddest one is a US Krag takedown conversion with 4 barrels, one in .410-3". A couple of Steyr-Krags, one with interesting provenance. There is a Danish 1889 military rifle, & another Danish sporter. Quite a few Norse Krags, some military, most sporters, 2 in 8x57. US Military Krags in every imaginable state of correctness or incorrectness. I did not see an unaltered 1892, but there is everything else. Including something advertised as a Constabulary carbine.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Would be nice if they had a search feature!

Lots of Krags - I did find an original 1892 - but no 26" BoOF.

Estimated prices seemed somewhat inconsistant, at least to me.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Thanks for sharing guys. You don't see one of these every day!

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

The Amoskeag "Silent Auction" catalog is available for download on the website. The Silent Auctions are sealed bid auctions, with no audience or on-line bidding. The March catalog has Krag actions (2 or 3), and Krag parts, including issue & after-market sights. 60+ pages of stuff to look at.

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

Prices (including buyer's premiums) for the Amoskeag Auction have been posted at the site referenced in an earlier post. Krag prices are all over the place. The slide-action Krag sold for $460.