New to me Krag carbine

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
sherrick13

New to me Krag carbine

Post by sherrick13 »

I just bought this on a whim and paid too much, but I don't have any sort of Krag carbine, so oh well.

Any info about it would be appreciated. It is obviously a fake carbine, my best guess is a Bannerman.
img
img

img

img

img

img

img

img

img
[URL=http://s206.photobucket.com/user/sherrick13/media/IMG_3072_zps51d357a5.jpg.html]img[/

sherrick13

Re: New to me Krag carbine

Post by sherrick13 »

Couple more pics.

img

img

Got this not too long ago as well. :)

img

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Welcome!

Could be Bannerman, or just shortened by some hunter.

The barrel band is on backwards - it will fit better (it's tapered) if you turn it around.

A question, please, and I do not mean to be impolite, but, if you know you paid too much, and you knew it wasn't right, why did you buy it? Real carbines are not rare, and are so much easier to move if you ever want to dispose of it, upgrade, etc. Sorry, but I have just never understood such deals.

sherrick13

Post by sherrick13 »

I didn't know when I bought it. I was an impulse buy. It is a place holder for now, which is ok.. I just paid about $200 too much.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

OK, didn't mean to be rude - just seemed from your first post that you did know. We've ALL bought things on impulse! Such pieces are great hunting rifles, accurate, fun to shoot, low recoil, etc. - but they can be tough to dispose of.

sherrick13

Post by sherrick13 »

You weren't rude at all. It is a valid question.

I just didn't know as much about Krags as I should have. :)

I don't mind a put together, but the front sight is what really bothers me.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'sherrick13': Welcome to the KCA forum.
Although, your Krag is a cut-down rifle and 'parts gun', it is still a functional and fun shooter. It is similar to what many amateur and professional gunsmiths did in producing a rig that imitated the so-called "DCM or NRA" carbine. (Altered rifles made at Springfield in the 1920s that used the 1903 front sight).
These are very useful rifles. The appearance of your "carbine" would be improved if you replaced its 1903 Springfield front sight with one that is not so 'banged up'. I frankly like the look of the "DCM Carbines".
IMHO - You bought your first Krag and paid too much because you 'wanted to have a Krag, bad'! You seem to be accepting of your mistake. Now, enjoy playing with that Krag and build up your library and knowledge base. Define where you want to go in 'Collecting' and you will come out ahead.

Top Dean

Post by Top Dean »

Don't feel Bad, many of us did the same thing at least once.

gnoahhh

Post by gnoahhh »

Don't feel Bad, many of us did the same thing at least once.

Or twice, or three times... :)

waterdogg

Post by waterdogg »

Welcome to the Forum. I bought one and the sights were awful. Shoots good though. I wanted a Krag and it was the 1st one I had came across. I paid 450 for mine with a little work it will look better. I saw one that had been trashed and they were asking 850 for it I laughed at them.