Great Grandfather's Rifle

Other Firearms
Knute1

Re: Great Grandfather's Rifle

Post by Knute1 »

Like wow man............you sure were thinking a lot bigger than me. Now you got me thinking about it a bit harder. My way of thinking now is that in the future you will be able to download a program into a machine and make anything you want. Including ammo. Future generations will be much better off. :D

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Have I mentioned the two thousand rounds of Winchester .30-40 I've had since 2005. It is in the bottom of the "Pile". ...and I can't get to it. I would have to cut the seals on the third tunnel, fourth level, Annex J. Of course I could then get to the two thousand rounds of S&B .303 also.

:o

Most guys think about handing down the guns but hardly anyone thinks about handing down ammo or instilling the idea that not every cartridge needs to be shot up. Such as:

------------------------

"Daughter, here is your great grandfather Knute's Krag and one old fashion .50 BMG ammo can filled with .30-40 ammunition from 2018."

"Thank you, Dad."

"Here is my last three and a half boxes of brass I was given when I recieved my grandpa's gun. It started out as a full ammo can too. Dad passed to me what was left of the ammo he was given. He told me to use his stuff up until it wore out from reloading. Then I could start using my inheritence."

You are required to do the same." These other four ammo cans are for next four owners of the Krag and are not yours to use.

"I understand, Dad"

"Now I will teach you how to pour lead to make you own bullets for this gun."

--------------------

That sort of thing.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

I see your point. I just have never thought in a big way, except I was shooting up my ammo when the 1895 Winchester was at my house. And when I mean shooting up ammo I'm still talking less than 100 rounds. I am frugal. When I got my 30-30 at the age of 16 I sighted it in with my Dad. Then it was one bullet/one year/one deer. This went on for years. I even kept my brass in the box from those years and have just reloaded them, though I haven't hunted with it since 2006. My flintlocks get the workout now since I do most of my hunting in Illinois where cartridge rifles for deer are not allowed.
This 1895 Winchester has got me thinking about going "modern" again for the nostalgia and carrying on the tradition (up in Wisconsin). I am afraid that generations to come will not appreciate the traditions of hunting and firearms. My oldest son is still in the Army and hasn't had time to hunt with me. My fourth oldest son at the age of 12 is all about hunting/fishing so I am trying to nurture this phase. He is already arguing with his oldest brother which of my guns they will get. I hope they are not pushing me into the grave too fast.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Solution is easy and a "Win-Win": Buy more neat guns!

Gift some of them to your children, now, and go shooting and hunting with them.