Krag 30/40

Other Firearms
Hamish

Re: Krag 30/40

Post by Hamish »

http://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/index_htm_files/cerrosafe%20use.pdf

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/barrel-blanks-tools/barrel-chamfering-accessories/cerrosafe-chamber-casting-alloy-prod384.aspx

If your not 100% sure it's chambered for 30-40 and you're not comfortable doing a chamber cast, I'm sure a local gunsmith would do it for a nominal fee.

Just because a barrel is marked one thing doesn't guaretee that it hasn't been improved or completely rechambered to a case size larger than what is marked.

I own a very nice sporterized Mauser that was tagged as 8mm on the gun sore rack that turned out to be 30-06. Over the decades I've read many times of folks finding surprises, sometimes the hard way at the range, sometimes with nasty results.

I'm a Mosin fan myself, and your Granfathers rifle is a very interesting piece of history!

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

. . . a very cool but if history. ;)

I reckon he meant to type "bit of history" but didn't quite align fingers with keyboard. (Note U, I, and O are adjacent in QUERTY layout.) Proof reading seems a much-neglected task on this interweb thing.

Hamish

Post by Hamish »

I am disgraced.

I shall commit seppuku by bashing my brains in with a collegiate editions of Websters.

Please forgive my affrontery for putting spelling mistakes in front of your eyes.

Goodbye cruel world,,,,,,,,

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I poof read for my spelling errors, too, but letters still seem to disappear in to thin air after I hit the enter key. :(
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

. . . spelling mistakes in front of your eyes. . .

Seems to me "but if" is spelled correctly - it just appears to have been carelessly typed if "bit of" was intended, leading to confused readers. (I wondered perhaps "but if history" is a new scholarly pursuit, as in - ". . . but if the U.S. had adopted the Mosin . . .")

Errant spelling is often a product of the educational system and hence not the writer's fault. Proofing text for typing errors is a heap easier than spelling.

Poof indeed, deacon! ;)

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Time to settle down fellas!!