A.L. Woodworth

Other Firearms
butlersrangers

A.L. Woodworth

Post by butlersrangers »

Mr. A.L. Woodworth was a Civilian Employee of Springfield Armory starting in 1902. In reviewing SA photo descriptions, he is mentioned as "Armory Proof Assistant".

In doing a little research, I found, he was good friends with Col. Townsend Whelen and Grosvenor Liebenau Wotkyns.

With Wotkyns and G.A. Woody, A.L. Woodworth was instrumental in developing the .22 Hornet cartridge.

A.L. Woodworth also devised a Machine Rest, the "Woodworth Cradle", that was utilized in Armory testing of rifle accuracy, starting in 1924.

One source gives the name, A.L. Woodworth, as the Inspector "A.L.W.", whose initials appear on U.S. Colt .38 cal. Service Revolvers from 1905 to 1928. (I am not aware of a Colt .38 revolver that was still in U.S. service during that period).

Cropped photos showing: Mr. A.L. Woodworth with NM Springfield rifle, at SA "Bircham Bend Range" (pre-1924), and ammo testing with Mann Barrel.ImageImage

Culpeper

Re: A.L. Woodworth

Post by Culpeper »

So he was the first gangsta shooting his gun up-side down like that.

Interesting.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Cat Man

Post by Cat Man »

I purchased a vintage post card to add to my rifle range photo collect some years ago.

In reading the back I was excited to see that it was addressed to A L Woodworth in Springfield. From his shooting friend GA Woody. Woody was at the 1909 national championships at Camp Perry and wrote of his frustration that near perfect shooting failed to win anything.

A "50 at 800" would mean a perfect score on the old military 5V targets at 800 yards. Can't tell from the photo if they were shooting Krags or M1903 Springfields. Interesting history.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Cat Man - Your Post Card is super cool. Please show the other side!

IMHO - In 1909 it is likely he was shooting a 1903 Springfield at Camp Perry.Image

Cat Man

Post by Cat Man »

Here is the photo side of the Woodworth postcard.

The Army provided the target pullers and the scorekeepers. All a civilian shooter had to do was shoot.

I have lots of other pictures. Can post more if you fellows would like to see more Krags on the firing line.

The team photo with early 1903's was cool too.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Boy, I wish they provided the table/chair units these days. It sure would make things easier for the scorekeeper! Awesome picture.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Yea, on rainy days you could keep the scorecard dry by hiding it in the cubby hole of the desk! Send a suggestion to CMP!