Dont Shoot The Zoot

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
RicKrager

Re: Dont Shoot The Zoot

Post by RicKrager »

I want to thank you all for your perspectives on this item. also thanks to clansman butlersrangers - I admit I tend to be frugal with the brass. Perhaps the old WRA should retire. At this time in life I can afford new WW brass. That was not always true.

For a more complete picture I offer the following:
Case prep. For most of my primed brass, they were sitting primed since about 1980. That suggests sized, trimmed and de-burred at the neck (in and out) as that I did back then. They were not cleaned. Now to the present - they were wiped outside, then after successfully loading about 75 and experiencing the case collapse and the first of your replies I brushed out the necks and neck sized and loaded until I ran out of IMR-4198 (bought pre-1980).

With my dial caliper I had checked case length and loaded length. LOA was to butlersrangers suggested 2.760. This dimension continued to be checked every few rounds due to concern over the few that showed slight bulging at the shoulder. I also, following parashooterss comment, checked the seating die for crimp as he suggested. There seemed to be resistance with and empty case and the die was backed out a bit, one case loaded and LOA checked. I set the seater down a little to achieve 2.760. Once convinced the rounds were within spec I loaded our the last of the 4198.

Future loading once past the lot of primed cases will include clean if not new, necksize, trim, chamfer, prime, load. With 500 more 110Gr. and several hundred more up to 180Gr RN, I will need more brass soon.

Thanks again to each of you for your input. My old shooter thanks you - Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

It's a good time to buy new W-W Brass. I believe Graf & Sons has it on sale.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Zoots. I remember having to ask an old friend what the heck a Zoot suit was. That would have been back in the 60s. He was a WWII vet that knew everything. Well, almost everything. I have an old file trim die that would fix your collapsed shoulder, no disassembly of the rounds needed. It's the die I use to push the shoulder back on .303 British I sometimes shoot in my Krag. It's also a good way to make sure you don't have any overlength cases to cause the problem. Now I remember how the subject of Zoot Suits came up. It was the plaid "leisure suit" jacket that I got my junior year, so the question to him would have been in the early 70s.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Red River Reloading

[url=https://redriverreloading.com/reloading/rifle-and-pistol-brass/product/248728-winchester-30-40-krag-unprimed-brass-50.html?mfp=manufacturers[63]
redriverreloading.com/reloading/rifle-and-pistol-brass/product/248728-winchester-30-40-krag-unprimed-brass-50.html?mfp=manufacturers[63][/url]
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Nice price on W-W brass, 'Culpeper'.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Every Krag shooter should put Red River Reloading as their go to source for brass.

Just saying.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Get hep to the jive, Jackson, and make sure the pleat is reat!

The Zoot Cat