Number 5 Mark 1 Enfield

Other Firearms
Littlejohn

Number 5 Mark 1 Enfield

Post by Littlejohn »

Just picked this up a couple of weeks ago. Been wanting one for years. Royal Ordnance Factory, Fazakerley. Built 5/46. Formerly property of Federal Malayan Police.

img

reincarnated

Re: Number 5 Mark 1 Enfield

Post by reincarnated »

Looks like fun. Mine did not survive my Krag & single shot mania. I have since read that the receivers were modified from the later No. 4 receivers. Apparently modifications were more extensive than just a new barrel & all new wood. Do you have a No. 4 for comparison?

Littlejohn

Post by Littlejohn »

Looks like fun. Mine did not survive my Krag & single shot mania. I have since read that the receivers were modified from the later No. 4 receivers. Apparently modifications were more extensive than just a new barrel & all new wood. Do you have a No. 4 for comparison?

Yes, I do have a No. 4 MK1*. Made in 1942, in Canada, at Long Branch Arsenal.

img

This is a good comparison photo of the No.4 and No.5

img

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

Any changes under the wood? I read that the problem with No.5s inability to hold a zero was finally attributed to lightening cuts made on the receiver when changing the No.4 to No.5. Just wondered what said cuts looked like. Would the receiver be less rigid?

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

I just looked at the photo of the barrel at the breech in the No.5 comparison. Those longitudinal cuts over the chamber ought to be enough to explain the wandering zero. Why would you expect the rifle to be accurate when you do that to it?