Where can I find ammo for my 30-40 Krag

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Stanson22

Where can I find ammo for my 30-40 Krag

Post by Stanson22 »

Hello,
I inherited a 30-40 Krag and I'd like to start shooting it. Can anyone tell me a good place to find ammo?
Thanks!
"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
                                    George Orwell

Texas10

Re: Where can I find ammo for my 30-40 Krag

Post by Texas10 »

You can usually find some at gun shows, online sources and sometimes sitting on the shelf at places like Cabelas. It's only produced once a year, typically before deer season. When brass by itself is produced, you'll usually see a comment on here so you can buy before its all sold out.

Ammoseek is a good place to start looking. A brief search turned up a bunch available. https://ammoseek.com/ammo/30-40-krag

Whig

Post by Whig »

Gun Broker is a source of Krag ammo also. Watch prices and don't buy someone else's reloads unless you want to pull the bullets and reload with your own known powder load!

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Gun shows, as stated before can be a good source... but beware. Some sellers are filling boxes with their reloads. While the loads may or may not be safe... I personally don't trust reloads that are loaded by anyone except my own!!! I know my quality procedures, and I'm confident my powder charges are exact. Other's may not be as exact. And just a couple wayward flakes of bullseye accidentally making it into a case is a recipe for disaster! If you do buy at a gun show, make certain you open the box and confirm that the rounds are all consistent as car as bullets go. Look for obvious signs of an idiot having his hands on the loading equipment. If anything looks amiss, walk away.

By the way, if the seller refuses to let you open the box to inspect the ammo... WALK AWAY

DarryH

Post by DarryH »

PRVI and PPU ammo from the Czech Republic are available online, and affordable, and reloadable. It can be found in some gun shops.

chuck56

Post by chuck56 »

On my last trip to Maine 2 weeks ago I stopped in the Kittery Trading Post to stretch my legs.

Figured I check the ammo out.

They had winchester 9mm 12 boxes I bought 5 and low and behold on the bottom shelf was 10 boxes 30-40.

They always seem to have it just like LL Bean.