Model 1898

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Slabstick

Model 1898

Post by Slabstick »

I just acquired a Model 1898 Krag. Pretty good shape except for the front end of barrel. When I got it, it did not have any sights. They were removed and had added a scope. Well, I didnt want the scope on it so I removed it. I just purchased a set of rear sights at a local gun show today. I was wondering what to purchase for the front. I have done a lot of internet searching but have really not come up with anything. There are 4 holes. Looks like 2 are just extra for maybe moving sight forward. If I can figure out how to add photos here Ill do so. But my question is 1st, I dont really know what I have as far as sporterized, carbine, ?? 2nd, where can I get a front sight? Thanks

butlersrangers

Re: Model 1898

Post by butlersrangers »

'Slabstick' - Welcome to the KCA Forum. I don't know what length your model 1898 Krag barrel now measures.

It looks and sounds like your Krag was shortened for Hunting purposes. It appears it has worn a number of different front-sights in its time, as well as, having been drilled & tapped for a scope-mount.

One of the previous front-sights likely was a 'banded' 1903 Springfield sight. (That is why your barrel has been stepped and has a cross-pin groove).
This was a popular choice, when civilians cut-down Krag rifles.

These bases show up frequently on ebay and at gun-shows. One would likely fit your 'stepped' barrel muzzle and could be secured in place with J&B-Weld glue.

This would be a cheap solution and hide some of the blemishes. The other extra sight holes could be filled.

Attached photos; A copy of Slabstick's barrel/muzzle area and a cut-down Krag barrel with a 1903 base and Marble's blade.ImageImage

mavt

Post by mavt »

This assumes your Krag is now a cut down sporter and you are not trying to make it into an official configuration again. If you want to inexpensively clean up the muzzle end and install a sporting front sight you might look at cutting off the stepped portion, filing the muzzle flat and chamfering it to uniform the rifling end. I used an RCBS chamfering tool for that.

You can get a Marble's front sight base and dovetail sight for less than $25 and either have the barrel drilled and tapped for the one screw that attaches it (about $25 by a gunsmith) or just JB Weld it in place. The base will cover the remaining two holes and will actually give the JB Weld more to grab onto if you used that method.

I went the JB Weld route on my Sporter's sight base and it was in place for 13 years until the barrel was recently replaced with a Criterion and then I had the new barrel d/t'd for the same base when cut and re-crowned. So far the old barrel with the filed and chamfered crown was easier to find good loads for than the Criterion. I also just did the cut, file and chamfer of an 1884 Trapdoor and attached a Marble's sight base with JB Weld.
ImageImage

savagebrother

Post by savagebrother »

mavt
when you got your new criterion barrel where and who did you get to install it ??
looking to replace my barrel any info would be appreciated
SB