Need Advice on Rifle and Pricing

U.S. Military Krags
cliff

Need Advice on Rifle and Pricing

Post by cliff »

Hello, I am interested in purchasing a Krag rifle from a guy and I am looking for advice on the pricing. The rifle is serial 127X and was made in 1898. I don't have much in the way of photos, but the most glaring issue is the left side of the receiver was drilled and tapped for a side mount scope (4 holes). The rifle's bluing is pretty sketchy on the receiver. The bore is, apparently, good, the seller seems like a real nice guy and I'll take his word on that, although I obviously plan to look at it. The seller is asking $500.00. The scope mount holes make me want to pass on it, but with the prices for full-length rifles getting so high (and hard to find) I'm wondering if I should pony up the bucks and grab this rifle for a shooter. Any thoughts on this? Thank you.

Parashooter

Re: Need Advice on Rifle and Pricing

Post by Parashooter »

Ouch!
If you can get it cheaper and enjoy selling parts, you might make good money on the wood and barrel. (If bore is excellent, I'd pay $300+ for those bits!). Collector value as-is has been destroyed by the receiver molestation.

cliff

Post by cliff »

Thanks Parachuter. Would you still think the price is high if I were only looking for a shooter? Thanks.
Cliff

Whig

Post by Whig »

$300 would be a better price if you really just want a shooter, if the bore is really good. The receiver drilling would turn me off big time! I would rather save longer and buy a better Krag without the irrepairable damage.

But, a shooter is a shooter. You could get it and do just that. But it will be very hard for you to ever sell it.

Excellent question and one only you can answer.

(You don't ever have to use the "X"s for the serial number. You aren't hiding anything by doing that and showing the serial number on the receiver in your picture, also!)

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

The worst part about the holes is that they hit the numbers. Holes that do not can be filled by running in a screw with Loctite and filing off the head, being careful to avoid damaging the receiver any further. A little cold blue, or cold brown will finish the job. Yes, the defacement is still there, and should be pointed out if selling, but the God-awful gaping hole is pretty well obscured. I've never done it, but have seen some pretty well-done examples.

cliff

Post by cliff »

Guys, thank you very much for your recommendations. I've decided that I will pass on this rifle. The seller indicated that $500 is the least he would take for it, so I will not make an offer. I know these "is it worth it" questions are difficult because to answer because it's all so subjective, so I appreciate everyone's input.
Thanks,
Cliff

Whig

Post by Whig »

Keep looking, Cliff. You'll find something eventually that suits you just right. We'll help when we can!

cliff

Post by cliff »

Thanks Whig, I appreciate that.
Cliff

bayoned

Post by bayoned »

I'd have passed on that rifle as well. You'd have trouble getting your $500 back out of this gun when the screw holes finally really bug you.
It's still possible to run into decent rifles for $700-750.

cliff

Post by cliff »

bayoned wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:29 am I'd have passed on that rifle as well. You'd have trouble getting your $500 back out of this gun when the screw holes finally really bug you.
It's still possible to run into decent rifles for $700-750.
Thanks Bayoned.