I bought 'The Krag Bayonet Book'

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

I bought 'The Krag Bayonet Book'

Post by butlersrangers »

I own one 'standard' Krag bayonet. It is in decent condition. I never wanted to get into collecting different years, scabbards, or rare variations.

The history and evolution of Krag bayonets is interesting. There is a general coverage of Krag Bayonets in the Krag books of Mallory, Brophy, and Poyer.

Years ago, I watched a 'You Tube Video' of a fine presentation, by Author, Donald J. Hartman, on U.S. Krag Bayonets.

The other day, KCA Member "Knute" mentioned his thinking about of working on a Krag book from a new perspective.

I made some suggestions, on 'Knute's thread', concerning some relevant works to read for preparation.

One that I suggested, but, didn't have was "The U.S. Krag Bayonets .... ", by Donald J. Hartman.

To get the information on the book correct, I 'Google searched' the subject - Krag bayonets. I got listings for the book from Amazon ($150) and a seller on Ebay ($75 or make an offer, plus $8 shipping & tax).

I thought the Ebay vendor's price a good value and saved it on my watch list. Yesterday, I received an email from the vendor (ddblade_56) offering "an additional 20% off to the first watcher that acted".

I acted!

The coolest thing, it's signed by the Author and the confirmation, I received today, reveals ddbladeresearch@gmail.com is an email address for Donald J. Hartman.

If you have considered getting this work, the current ebay offering is a very good opportunity, even without a further discount.

(Now, I need to put Richard Hosmer's '.45-70, American Flyer, and pending book of his collection', on my Christmas/birthday list)!
Attachments
Krag Bayonets - Hartman.jpg
Krag Bayonets - Hartman.jpg (95.66 KiB) Viewed 1387 times

Knute1

Re: I bought 'The Krag Bayonet Book'

Post by Knute1 »

I've seen this video, also. Looks like I need to make a small investment in reading material. I did pick up a 1900 bayonet for cheap. Bubba didn't change the silhouette much, but he thinned it up some. The locking part does work.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

My "U.S. Krag Bayonets ... " book arrived today, direct from Donald J. Hartman. It is a beautiful thing!

Over 300 pages of fine photographs, Krag related content, and all kinds of Krag trivia.

I'm glad I "splurged".
Attachments
arrv-1.jpg
arrv-1.jpg (124.26 KiB) Viewed 1329 times
arrv-2.jpg
arrv-2.jpg (150 KiB) Viewed 1329 times
arrv-3.jpg
arrv-3.jpg (96.98 KiB) Viewed 1329 times

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

I was really fortunate, a number of years back, to obtain both Donald Hartman books that are signed by the author for $135 bucks!

Both books are very informative and excellent reference resources.

I especially dig (pun intended) the "U.S. Military and Experimental Entrenching Tools" book.

Here's an eBay link to one of the entrenching tools described in Donald Hartman's Book:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Pre-WW1-Cav ... 1438.l2649

The picket pin doesn't have it's leather scabbard... but hey...no problem since you can usually find one with a Krag bayonet shoved inside of it on eBay.

You know the authentic as issued Krag picket pin scabbard/bayonet that Dick Hosmer loves and collects. ;)

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Local Boy' - I have gone to some Gun Shows where there were more Krag Bayonets incorrectly 'stuffed' into picket-pin cases than there were bayonets in correct metal scabbards.

FWIW - I'm sure the 'blarney' started at someplace like Bannerman's, where they had bayonets without scabbards, and a huge pile of useless leather cases. A salesman probably slid the blades into surplus leathers, so customers didn't skewer someone on the streetcar ride home.

You resurrected a fun memory:
A few years back, I was on a "Road-Scholar" Trip in South Dakota.
We had an Archeologist presenter, one evening.
He and a Photographer friend had retraced the steps of Custer's 1874 "Black Hills Expedition". The presenter had numerous 'dug-up' items from the 1874 Expedition.
One relic was an iron picket-pin, that I got to handle.
It had been excavated at one of Custer's campsites. In the arid soil of S.D., it appeared as if it had just been lost, last week!

I don't remember who to thank for the attached picket-pin photos. It is later equipment than the 1874 Expedition pin, but, it's neat! :
Attachments
picket-pin1.jpg
picket-pin1.jpg (57.14 KiB) Viewed 1260 times
picket-pin2.jpg
picket-pin2.jpg (50.31 KiB) Viewed 1260 times
picket-pin3.jpg
picket-pin3.jpg (47.17 KiB) Viewed 1260 times
a Wagon Train.jpg
a Wagon Train.jpg (79.62 KiB) Viewed 1260 times