Reading from the Krag collection

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Old Soldier

Re: Reading from the Krag collection

Post by Old Soldier »

Thanks
" Should it come to war... we shall place our trust in God and our Long Rifles" Continental Congress

FredC

Post by FredC »

madsenshooter wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:26 am Interesting illustration of the cartridges in the magazine.  Someone's heading for a case of rimlock!
I caught that also. In practice it is hard to do. I did one experiment so I am not an expert, but I loaded cartridges into my 35/40 so the rims should have locked. if I closed the door fast they rearranged them selves so no rim lock occurred, closing the loading gate slow allowed them to stay locked. I can not remember if they fed anyway.
Interesting experiment for every one to try and report back. Maybe the bevel on the rim makes it unlikely. it should happen a lot more than it does.
Just checked and my Graf's cases have smaller bevels are they more prone to rimlock?

waterman

Post by waterman »

I don't know how all print-on-demand books are made. Some are just scanned copies of the originals. Quality depends on the condition of the original and the care with which it was scanned. I bought a set of the works of Kipling, print on demand. They must have been typed into some sort of digital book format, not something from a copy machine. Lots of typos & mis-spellings. A pox on the whole business.

Not that hard to find a WHB Smith or NRA "Book of Rifles". I gave one to a friend's grandson last May.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Print on Demand' scanned books make some very rare and obscure works available.

Occasionally, pages are missed in the scanning. If the work has photographs or 'fold-out' pages, they don't turnout well.