Damaged Receiver

U.S. Military Krags
butlersrangers

Damaged Receiver

Post by butlersrangers »

I saw this photo posted at 'Gunboards' on the 'Workbench' forum.

The Poster eventually figured out why his Krag's Magazine-Gate was drooping. (The front lug, that anchors the hinge-pin to the Receiver, has been broken off).

Some excessive force has been applied to crack and break-off the lug that guides the hinge-pin - (orange arrow).
I notice, there appears to be a punch-mark on the top pivot of the Carrier - (green arrow). Another photo showed a similar punch-mark on the bottom end of the pivot at the cam).

I have never seen this kind of damage before. It is, unfortunately, on a rather nice model 1898 Krag.

The owner has concluded, probably correctly, that he should obtain another receiver. IMHO - To restore the missing lug on the receiver would require a lot of skill and be expensive.
Attachments
broken hinge-bar lug.jpg
broken hinge-bar lug.jpg (93.13 KiB) Viewed 1188 times

Kerz

Re: Damaged Receiver

Post by Kerz »

BR
Any idea why the punch marks?
Vic
Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I suspect, 'Bubba' was here! ... with hammer, punch, and no clue about disassembly?

Coincidentally, I recently picked up a very dirty model 1898 Krag rifle, with a shortened stock-forearm and lots of surface rust, (for $200).

It has cleaned-up rather well, with a pleasing metal patina, and is now ready for a trip to the Range. If it's a decent 'Shooter', I will splice on a forearm.

Of all things, the original Carrier-Arm was bent or sprung and would not retract properly, upon opening the Magazine-Gate.
At first, I thought it was just rust & crud, a broken spring or a model 1896 assembly.
However, after cleaning, it appeared the Carrier-Arm was subjected to some excessive force and the 'pivot' is out of whack.

Fortunately, I had a spare (M-1898) Follower/Carrier-Arm, in my spare-parts box, and just replaced the damaged unit. Now, the magazine feed works like a champ.

(That 'Bubba' guy gets around. Nothing on the Krag should require brute force)!

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I've got one broke like that. It looked to me like a machinist that knew what he what was doing could enlarge it, maybe fit a brass bearing in the right place, but maybe not. It'd be a good for a 2rd conversion.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I'm sure a skilled metalworker could grind or mill a radius and 'true-up' the damaged area of the receiver, creating a shallow trough.
A steel sleeve could be turned, bored, and properly sized to restore the missing 'lug'. The sleeve could be silver soldered or bronze brazed into position and 'cold-blued' to make an almost invisible repair.

Such work is likely very expensive. If you can't do it yourself, a replacement receiver can be far cheaper.