Trust Your Nose!

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
FredC

Re: Trust Your Nose!

Post by FredC »

I just looked at my oldest primer installation tool a Pacific "310" set that belonged to my father. It does have a concave punch designed for domed primers. Every primer installation tool since then has been for flat topped primers. I still have an empty box from the sixties that may have had domed primers, but I did not save a single one. I am supposing that some where in the late sixties or early seventies a change was made by all manufactures to flat topped primers. Not sure if they were compatible with the wrong punch or using the wrong punch damaged primers.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

CCi #34 or any magnum primer might light the powder better. #34s are Nato primers and most Nato countries are loading with ball powders now a days. I had problems with ball powders (760 and 2700) not burning completely in my Garand, they'd fall into the chamber on ejection and dent up subsequent cases. Magnum or #34 primers cleared that right up.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Good point 'Madsenshooter' about using magnum primers with ball powders.

My Winchester large rifle primers are marked "regular and magnum" primers. They are intended to ignite W-W ball powders.
(I will stick with Winchester primers, since I have them in quantity and they have never given me a problem).

I should not have used non-magnum RWS primers with WW-748 powder.
However, the second of my recent two 'squib' rounds involved a cast-bullet round loaded with Hogdon #2400.

At this point, I believe deteriorating RWS primers was the cause of my 'squib' rounds.