Target Shooting Sight Micrometers

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Cat Man

Re: Target Shooting Sight Micrometers

Post by Cat Man »

Some wonderful stuff!

I have to ask. Were these simply precision/adjustable gauges that helped finesse a sight-setting and return to a 'recorded' setting ... or ... do some models remain attached to a sight to add micro-adjustment for elevation?

The micrometer is placed on the sight and used as a precision gauge to make small elevation changes between shots. After making the sight change the binding screw on the elevation slide is tightened and the micrometer is removed and set aside.

The earlier square imported version has no click adjustments but has a vernier scale on the side. The later O'Hare features click adjustment detents which is the "easiest" to use and became "the standard" for riflemen shooting the M1903 on the range.

The micrometers were easily lost on the firing line. [smiley=sad.gif] The standard remedy was to tie a spare GI boot lace to the knob on the micrometer and secure the other end of the cord or lace through a button hole on shirt or jacket. Sometimes seen in vintage range photos if you look close.

Cat Man

Post by Cat Man »

I bought mine from Ray-Vin too. Those were to only two places I could find pics of the micrometer.

I think he has been retired for five or so years.

Now to get one of the fancy smokers just in case I get a rifle that I need to blacken the sights.

Looks like some guy blacked those front sights for you guys last time. Maybe we need a small arms firing school just for the Krag shooters before the next Roosevelt match?

Paul could organize that.Image

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

There ya go confusin' everyone with facts! Fer Shame. naughty naughty.

It was the other guy! Really! HE needed to blacken my rifle. Not I needed to blacken my rifle. Well , I just had to let him do it for me since I was an innocent and pure and modest first time CP shooter. And... And..

Anyone buying this? > crickets chirping < Hello? Anybody there?

::) :D
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Comments by Dr. Hudson (1903) regarding sight verniers/micrometers:ImageImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Townsend Whelen views, circa 1909:ImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Whelen's text regarding sight-micrometers:ImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Whelen pointed out a further advantage of sight-micrometers.

He also gave Dr. Hudson's volatile recipe for dirty soldiers, like Culpeper, who 'blacken' their sights.ImageImage

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Here is a source for Suggestions to Military Riflemen and other classics

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/ClassicWorks/default.html

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

HeyJoe

Post by HeyJoe »

O'Hare also offered parts to add to '03 windage adjustment screw and wheel that give 1 MOA detent clicks. Cost was $2.00. That would be nice to have

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I saw this over on CMP.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=262007