New member from NM

U.S. Military Krags
Klhsteeler

New member from NM

Post by Klhsteeler »

Good morning and thank you for letting me join!

I am the proud owner of a 1921 Danish Krag and now I just have to have a US 30-40! I truly believe knowledge is power. I bought my Dane knowing nothing about it and learned after bringing it home. I don't regret my purchase in the least but knowing what to look for, a sort of buyers guide if you will, would be much appreciated for when I am looking for my US 30-40. I have been over the internet but have not found the information I am looking for or where to get it and was wondering if you kind folks could help me. I really do not have any specific questions in mind....just what should I be on the lookout for to make sure I'm getting what I pay for?

Thank you in advance!
Kristy

Whig

Re: New member from NM

Post by Whig »

Kristy,

Welcome to KCA. We are always excited to welcome new Krag lovers and help out when we can.

You have a Danish Krag which is great but as you enter the family of collecting US Krags, you will find that it can be addictive. One can quickly become many, as some of us have found out. Most of us collect, repair, rebuild, reload and shoot our Krags, so, we have a lot of experience, as looking through different posts and categories on this site will reveal. There is a wealth of information here.

The first thing we recommend is getting a copy of Poyer's Krag book. Here is a link to a copy being sold on ebay currently for a good price (below). There are other better references out there, Mallory, Brophy and Farmer, but this is a great one to start with and and get you on the right track to acquiring and using a good Krag. If you are looking at one to purchase, you can ask us questions about it before buying and we might be able to help you make a better deal or avoid bad mistakes. There are many damaged or badly altered Krags for sale by scrupulous sellers.

We also recommend searching through listed Krags AND sold Krags on Gun Broker, or other auction sites, to see what people are paying for different types of Krags. A nice looking Krag is not always a good deal. As many of us emphasize, the bore condition is very important if you plan on shooting it. A Krag with a bad bore can still shoot good but needs good rifling, even if there is pitting present. Pitting is common because of the corrosive primers used on older military ammunition. But, a Krag with a good bore is worth more also.

So, that's a start. Don't be in a rush and make mistakes. Let us know how we can help. Many of us have vastly different backgrounds and experience and can be of great help together!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-American-K ... SwOudZ3Ery

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Kristy' - Welcome to the KCA Forum! "Whig" has given you some very good advice.

The internet often contains faulty Krag information. It sure helps to have some working knowledge of Krag design and history, in order to separate 'the wheat from the chaff'.
It is good to be patient and to develop a clear idea of your gun interests and goals.

Owners and vendors, selling Krags, often don't know what they have or misrepresent and try to deceive. I have observed this for almost 60 years!

An obvious 'cut-down' (.30-40) Krag rifle, in very good condition with nice sights and bore, can be a good/safe 'starter' US Krag.
Many of us began with such a 'Deer Rifle', for under $200 to $300, and still enjoy them.
Although, not regarded as 'correct' or collectible, they are fun to tinker with and shoot.

Free:
Information is readily available here. Spend some time exploring old threads on the KCA Forum. Also, there is a KCA 'main page', that gives access to some neat photos of Krag details, collections and observations.

Starter:
As suggested by 'Whig', Poyer's Krag book is a good entry resource. Another interesting and enjoyable learning tool is K.M. Dorsett's paperback book, "Development of the Krag Jorgensen Rifle For The U.S. Military - A Technical Assessment".

Advanced:
The works of Frank Mallory and William Brophy are out of print and expensive, but, very interesting, pioneering, chock full of information and worth the money.
The books of Egil Hanevik are great, but, written in Norwegian.
Joe Farmer is probably brilliant in his research and knowledge. He has an inexpensive self-published book and website. Some members find him a great resource, but, he writes in "Joe Forensic".
Attachments
Dorsett Book.jpg
Dorsett Book.jpg (12.15 KiB) Viewed 2126 times

indy650

Post by indy650 »

Welcome! You are surely smarter than me coming here first for advice. Don't trust IMA I can tell you that much... Good luck I hope you find what you are looking for!

Klhsteeler

Post by Klhsteeler »

Thank you so much for your fast response! I agree with everything and I have been looking through this site as well as a few others when I can find information on the Krag.

Unfortunately for me..the main spot I can buy rifles in my area are pawn shops. And up until last week they have been great about letting me take some info from the gun and do some research.

Last week I found a K31 I was interested in for $300. At the time I didn't know it was a K31..I thought it might be a Styer because of the unique straight bolt... but even so wasn't sure it was even that because it was so different than the Styers I've seen! I wanted to look it up and sure enough they said go ahead. I usually say...do you mind if I look this up to see if I will be able to purchase ammo for it...

Ten minutes later I went back into the store, deciding to go ahead and buy it, an they had changed the price from $300 to $450. I thought 300 was fair for a sporterized...but not 450...so I left empty handed.

Hence why I came to you all nice folks. I would like to be armed with a little knowledge if I see a Krag again. I know another pawn shop in my area had several...but I don't want to make the mistake of them raising the price.

I know just enough about sporterized and correct, checking for serial matches, checking sights...etc...but not sure if there is anything else that may help me. For example... correct sights for date of rifle, unique serial numbers, important stamps be(like the script RR on Enfields), etc. My Dane is not necessarily a sporterized but had been cut back to first lug...wood damage? And top wood is missing.. otherwise all correct and matching. I purchased it for $300, from same shop that raised price on K31, without doing anymore research than finding out it was a Danish Krag...but, I fell in love with it and had to have it so I paid the 300! Now I'm searching for ammo..lol... There are several places in my area who actually carry the 30-40 so I would be ahead to purchase a US Krag! But, as I have said before knowledge is power and I would like to be armed with a little more of it to help my...I'm in love with it and have to have it instincts...lol

Thanks for listening! I appreciate you all!
Kristy

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

We would enjoy seeing pictures of your Danish Krag. There are members of the KCA, who are Knowledgeable about the Danish models and could tell you more about your rifle.

If you can pick-up .30-40 ammo, for under $36.00 a box, it would be a good idea to buy a couple of 20 round boxes.
It is apparent, that you will own a U.S. Krag, someday.
.30-40 ammo is made periodically and the supply can 'dry up' and be hard to find, for years.
Krag enthusiasts, who shoot, reload their fired brass.

With Krags, it is good to be patient and disciplined. About 1/2 million U.S. Krag rifles and carbines were made. A huge number were 'cut-down' and altered for Hunting. A good 'cut-down' Krag should be priced around $300. They can be 'slow sellers'.

Most 'vendors' (gun shops, pawn shops, gun-show table guys) are trying to double or triple their investment. It profits them to be vague and imply, that an altered or mutilated Krag is a rare model or "original carbine".

A buyer, with 'gun lust' for something in their 'gun-rack', is an easy mark.

IMHO - For a shop, without warning, to 'up' the price of a gun that you were considering buying, is unethical.
I would protest my treatment and have nothing more to do with them.

(BTW - K-31 Swiss rifles are nice firearms, but, no one wants one that has been 'cut-down' or 'sportered'. That shop's greed likely did you a favor)!

Klhsteeler

Post by Klhsteeler »

Thank you! And I agree! I will not be looking for guns there anymore. I thought that was a really rotten thing to do. I guess part of the blame lays on me for being so honest when I purchased other rifles from them. They had no idea what a Type 38 Arisaka was and it had a tag that said British 303. When I bought it I told them about the rifle and what ammo it took. Same for the Dane...they had no idea what it was either. I also told them about the script double R on Enfields. I bought a No1 MKlll there and they asked me what I was looking for when I inspected the barrel so closely. I guess I should have just played dumb..but I was just trying to help them out.

I really love this group so much so far! You all are very nice and not condescending like some of the other boards I have posted on. I thank you all for that. I feel the purpose of these boards is to share and learn and some folks are just plain rude! So far you have all been so respectful and kind! I think I will stay a while.....

I will jump over and post some pics on the Danish thread. I just field stripped it last night to give her a cleaning.

Kristy

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Kristy - I guess on British rifles, the double "R", you are referring to, is the Stamp for unsafe barrels, (placed on the knox form, receiver, and barrel)?

I can't recall if I have ever actually seen that marking. I have seen or owned a number of British rifles with the "E.Y." (emergency use only) and "D.P" (drill purpose) markings.

One to look out for and rarely seen, on U.S. arms, is a large "C" that signifies "condemned". I think, I have only seen that on some 'trap-door' Springfield rifles, on the stock behind the tang.

Some U.S. Krag rifles may have a small "c" on the left side of the stock, near the 'cartouche'. This is 'benign' and likely indicates the Depot or Arsenal location, where the Krag was rebuilt.

The best "safety checks", with the U.S. Krag, are to inspect bore condition, the barrel chamber (to make sure it hasn't been roughly 'reamed out' for 'blanks' or to deactivate), the bolt's locking-lug (for cracking),
and the wood stock for cracks and repairs.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Klhsteeler wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:21 pm... I guess I should have just played dumb..but I was just trying to help them out. ...
Yes. You should have played dumb. Next time think like a lawyer. Never give information away for free. Tell them if they want to know anything it'll cost them a hundred bucks.

Sooooooooo. First things first. Do you have a reloading press? Yes? No? If no, get one. Now.

Do you have reloading die sets for the Dane and for .30-40. Again. If no, get one for each and any other cartridge you may have. Did I say now yet? Now.

Reloading books? Brass? Bullets? Primers? Powder? Of course you know the next question already. NOW Now now now -must be an echo in here- ow ow ow ow.

Ammoseek.com is yer friend. The guys here are your new friends. Me? I'm the comic relief. It's a burden but I am willing to carry it for all that is holy and in the name of Ole Herman Johannes Krag and Erik Jørgensen (Peace be onto them).
Last edited by Culpeper on Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Culpeper! - You are giving out information for free ... I think ?