What the heck is this?

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Deppizzymo

What the heck is this?

Post by Deppizzymo »

Sorry to barge into this forum. How's everyone doing in this corner of the internet? I was at the CMP south store and saw this sitting on the rack. It is what I thought was a parade Krag "school" carbine until I posted it on the CMP forums and they said nope... Needs to be turned down at the muzzle for a bayonet. They mentioned it could be a Bannerman or Stokes but it doesnt look like either when googling. Anyone have a clue? One thing that brought me here.... The CMP received all of their last set of Garands from the Philippines and it has me hopeful I may have one of these...

"The first order was for 300 1899 Krag Carbines. Within a short period of time, it was determined that these carbines would not accept a bayonet which was deemed to be necessary. Therefore, it was decided that the rifle stocks be shortened and the barrel bands with the bayonet attachments be altered to fit."

Is that possible it could be one of the first Philippine carbines? I'm sure it's not but I thought I'd tap the experts...

https://imgur.com/a/1SnIXS6

King carp

Re: What the heck is this?

Post by King carp »

Hello: Welcome to the forum. Lots of good info on Krag rifles can be found here. I am not an expert on krags, but from what I have learned here I believe you have a parade rifle. I am pretty sure the Phillipine constabulary rifles barrel tip should be turned down to fit a bayonet and the receiver would be dated 1899. Some of the more knowledgeable members will be able to give you more detailed info. Again, welcome to the KCA.
Last edited by King carp on Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deppizzymo

Post by Deppizzymo »

King carp wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:38 am Hello: Welcome to the forum. Lots of good info on Krag rifles can be found here. I am not an expert on krags, but from what I have learned here I belive you have a parade rifle. I am pretty sure the Phillipine constabulary rifles barrel tip should be turned down to fit a bayonet and the receiver would be dated 1899. Some of the more knowledgeable members will be able to give you more detailed info. Again, welcome to the KCA.
Appreciate it! A guy can hope huh? This is how things get passed off I think since it doesn't take long to fill your head with weird information and guesses when there are so many variations of Krags and krag conversions. Thanks again!

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Most likely a VFW, American Legion return. Modified by the individual Post to be more handy as a parade/color guard rifle.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I agree with Ned.

The photos show a 'plated' & shortened model 1898 rifle. The Barrel appears to be 24 inches long, with a rifle rear sight.

A lot of veterans' posts returned ceremonial Krag rifles to the CMP, in recent years. The rifles had been on loan from the DCM.

Locally shortened and refinished Krag rifles were often what came back, (Drill and 'blank firing' rifles, that resembled a 1903 Springfield).

The Philippine 'short rifles' were Armory, arsenal, or depot built, using carbine barreled/actions and sights. They were purchased by the Philippine Constabulary, not on loan, not plated, and not subject to having to be returned.

Deppizzymo

Post by Deppizzymo »

Awesome guys thanks. Would any of you have reservations/fears about using this as a shooter?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I don't have an appetite for Krags, that have been chromed.

But, check the chamber to make sure, it has not been 'augured out' for some strange Blank.

If the chamber and bore look normal and there are no cracks around the bolt's locking-lug, it should be OK to fire.