Beautiful Unaltered 1892 Krag on GB

U.S. Military Krags
indy650

Beautiful Unaltered 1892 Krag on GB

Post by indy650 »

Wish I had the cash for it looks really nice. Figured I'd post it on here so no one that would want it misses out.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/894653817
Attachments
image_2021-03-16_155301.png
image_2021-03-16_155301.png (193.94 KiB) Viewed 1644 times

FredC

Re: Beautiful Unaltered 1892 Krag on GB

Post by FredC »

On photo # 17 it looked like a crack but is that the mentioned "duffle cut" repair. Looked for a closeup to see of the hold open notch had been added but did not find one.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

"The Man with the Gray Blanket" is a legend on a number of gun forums. He frequently has phenomenal items and seems to get 'top dollar'. His listings on Gunbroker seem to get 'hyperactive' in the final moments.

Although it may create some suspicion and curiosity, the man has a very high approval rating and many, many satisfied customers.

This item has some wonderful metal and appears overall, quite attractive.

IMHO - The 'wood splice' is an interesting mystery. The 'cut' appears precise, but, is way out in the open.
The 'cut' is not under the barrel-band, where it would be easily hidden. There appears to be a seam or very straight scratch that runs parallel to the 'rod-channel'.

My 'hunch' is that the stock was 'cut-down' and may have been very expertly 'stretched' by a craftsman, who very expertly matched-up a similar woodgrain pattern, matched color & finish, and carefully fitted parts.

This is all opinion, looking at photos, and trying to fathom what happened.

It is a nice Krag. (I'm kind of glad this model is not a passion for me).
Attachments
splice.jpg
splice.jpg (40.23 KiB) Viewed 1618 times
splice-2.jpg
splice-2.jpg (48.28 KiB) Viewed 1618 times
rod channel.jpg
rod channel.jpg (65.39 KiB) Viewed 1618 times

indy650

Post by indy650 »

yeah that cut/crack is interesting i dont see the reason for a duffel cut on an American Krag but it does look like one. The expert repair idea is a cool thought... As for Sriesel on gunbroker MANY have claimed he is a fraud and runs up his auctions. Their proof is many of the same users leaving exact feedback everytime they buy an item. I have bought 3 things from him and left the same feedback each time so that's not proof in my opinion. He does have some amazing items. I wish he had an open shop because he actually only lives about 30 minutes from me.

larrys

Post by larrys »

I am no Krag expert but have many years experience bringing old firearms back to life, while preserving their collectible value. I suspect that the stock was cut down at some point, or damaged enough so that replacing that part of the front end was the best choice.
The stock finish, stain and oil, looks fresh. I think that the restorer could have done a better job with the splice, but that's just me. Calling the rifle an unaltered piece is misleading, at best.

Larry

Lead Snowstorm

Post by Lead Snowstorm »

Noticed that one. I share the skepticism regarding the “unaltered” description of the Krag in question. I will, however, vouch that I picked up another rather rare antique piece from him that I’d been seeking and it is, as far as I can tell, entirely legitimate and in very nice condition.

As always, if one is in the market for some of these rare/high dollar guns, do the research.

Whig

Post by Whig »

So, this specimen sold for $3,000. I believe it would have sold for $1,000 more, or greater, if it wasn't for that weird duffle cut. That doesn't fit the Krag history at all. These were not cut down to fit inside a duffle bag to be carried home from a foreign war, or similar experience, to get a duffle cut.

But, the authenticity of the ram rod is of importance to the value also. The pictures did not allow full evaluation of this. I suspect it is authentic, though, given the correctness of the rest of the rifle. The fact that the receiver parts were all matching of serial number was nice to see.

The cut, color (finish), style, length, wear pattern and thread cut are all determining factors in evaluating a ram rod. There are very few authentic ones out there, mostly with supposed "authentic original" M1892 Krags. I believe I have one on my M1892 Krag but I also have another faked repro. Many fake repros out there. I high lighted some being sold on ebay a couple years ago on KCA.

Nice find, though. I'm not watching Gun Broker for Krags anymore like I used to. Thanks for sharing!