No Hitter

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

No Hitter

Post by butlersrangers »

I'm a Baseball Junkie. It has been tough times, in recent years, for Detroit Tiger fans.

I got the treat tonight of watching Spencer Turnbull, pitch a (5 to 0) 'No Hitter' against the Mariners, on TV from Seattle.
Turnbull gave up two Walks. There were no errors in the game.

The Tigers have only had eight 'No Hitters' in franchise history.

The last time I saw a Detroit 'no hitter' in its entirety on television was Jim Bunning in 1958. I was ten and the TV was black & white.
(In the interim years Jack Morris pitched one and Justin Verlander pitched two, but, I don't recall seeing much, if any, of those games).

Jack Morris was one of the commentators on tonight's game, which was pretty cool.
Attachments
spencer turnbull.jpeg
spencer turnbull.jpeg (59.53 KiB) Viewed 1235 times

kerry49

Re: No Hitter

Post by kerry49 »

Ah, the Tigers. Brings back memories of my youth in ne indiana. Mickey Lolich, Denny McLain, Bill Freehan, Norm Cash, Al Kaline. 1968 was a good year!
Attachments
IMG_0685.JPG
IMG_0685.JPG (204.76 KiB) Viewed 1221 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

(Denny McLain proved to be a bum, as a human being).

Kaline, Freehan, and 'Stormin Norman' were class acts!

Mickey Lolich was an awesome hero, with three complete 1968 Word Series wins against the Cardinals, on little rest and a homerun to boot!
With dominating Cardinal pitching (Gibson), the Tigers figuratively, "crawled out of the grave", to force a game seven and win Series.

(p.s. In your photo, look how people use to 'Dress' to go to a Ball Game). :P

kerry49

Post by kerry49 »

The good old days. Every time I get into a discussion with friends or relatives about society today , I'm very thankful that I grew up on a farm in the 50' and 60's. Talk about free range kids!
Had an old baseball bat that I would toss and hit stones with and pretend I was All Kaline or Norm Cash getting the winning home run. I should have mentioned Dick Mcauliffe, Willie Horton and Jim Northrop, too.
I ended up working in the Cleveland area, so followed the Indians for a while. Sadly, baseball has lost its interest for me.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

As a Kid, I use to mimic Dick McAuliffe's intense & unorthodox batting stance, ('Rocky' Colivito's rituals and mighty swing, too)!

When my eldest was 8 or 9, I took the day off on his birthday and we drove over to Lake Orion to Mickey Lolich's Donut Shop.
Mickey had just left a half-hour earlier, so, no autograph on the baseball card.
We had donuts, looked at Tiger photos on the wall, and went to a sport's memorabilia shop, where he got something nice!

kerry49

Post by kerry49 »

Now that's cool! Mickey Lolich's donut shop. How were the donuts?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Good Donuts & Good Coffee, brought home a sack for Mom and little brother, too!

It use to be rather common for famous athletes to have careers and businesses in the community. They didn't retire multi-millionaires. They spun their fame into business, commerce, broadcasting, and other local pursuits.

It use to be common to see Lions, Tigers, and Wings at youth banquets and business open-houses.