1899 carbine

U.S. Military Krags
Lead Snowstorm

1899 carbine

Post by Lead Snowstorm »

Welp. For the first time ever, I have let a gun go, and it was a Krag. Specifically, it was the 1899 carbine I posted about here before: http://kragcollectorsassociation.com/vi ... 0&start=20

Why would I do such a thing? Well, it was actually a trade towards this:

No SRS hit, but 99Cs e'rwhere around it. Not that it's a mystery with these. I think the metal has been enthusiastically cleaned...but you will recall my prior was straight up refinished, both metal and wood, and had that nasty handguard crack.

Treasure hunt...alas, this grave has already been robbed:

You will recall also my former carbine gauged 4-ish at the muzzle...this one is under 2...!

The bore is grungy, but I think it'll clean up.

And the innards:

So now you're asking yourself, well, now, did ol' Lead get taken, and for how much? And the answer is, absolutely yes he did. The breakdown: this carbine was found at (A Houston Store Infamous For Its Pricing) at $2250.

But, they were running a sale, so knock off 15%: $1912.50.

Trade in the old carbine for $1000 (*chuckles* I paid $850 on GB in the pre-sales tax era).

Pay about $987 total out of pocket today including tax, but save some tax thanks to trade-in.

So by my calculations, factoring in the extra bucks from the trade, I got this one for about...oh, call it $1700. Youch. It's not worth that...yet...probably about $200-400 too high. But then factor in that I won't be losing any more sleep over the refinishing and that d*** crack (no, I'm not crazy, doesn't everyone lay awake at night thinking about their Krag's handguard crack, and when am I going to scrape out the gas cylinder in my M1A, and should I put wood or synthetic furniture on the HK?). AND I got the aesthetically pleasing humped handguard. And factor in that I was by God *going* to upgrade that carbine at some point, but have hit the point in my safe that if something goes in, something else goes out.

So let's call it a $1300 carbine with a $400 Lead Sleeps Better Tonight Dreaming Of Handguards And A Good Bore AND He Gets It In The Safe premium. This isn't a business, so as long as it stays off the books enough not to get me murdered in a domestic incident, it's all good.

Then again...philosophizing generally about US carbines, the market just shifted this week, for anyone else who was watching the Midway sale. When you think about buying the M1 carbines in the very good/fine range for about what I paid for this Krag...eh.

Buy bitcoin or buy carbines.

Mike4MSU

Re: 1899 carbine

Post by Mike4MSU »

I’m glad you’re happy with the upgrade. It is clearly a nicer 99 carbine then the last. I too have a 99 carbine and wish mine didn’t have a replacement stock as I don’t have a cartouche just the proof.

That said, I have a couple of comments regarding your carbine sight which is one of the more expensive components of any Krag carbine. I’m sure you’d agree that the screws are a little buggered up. In addition, both screws appear to be incorrect and not original. Assuming the threads haven’t been modified, you can find replacement ones online from S&S and others. There appears to be a number stamped on the base of your sight which I don’t understand. Finally, someone “opened” up the notch on your sight as the original was much smaller and a previous owner likely had trouble seeing it.

Overall a very nice Krag and I hope you tell us how she shoots. As for price, who cares. If you can afford it and are happy with it, it’ll bring years of joy.

Enjoy it!

Mike

Zac952

Post by Zac952 »

Very fine carbine, Midway selling M1 carbines for $1200 and up, seems too high for me. But a Krag carbine I would jump at that price. I think your price was fair as everything is going up so much lately. Now at least I know I'm not the only one losing sleep over Krags.
If you ever take that sight apart I'm curious to see whether the peep is smaller or if the sight block is different as compared to the rifle. I have a carbine 1901 slide and base that I found locally, and when I attempted to install the block and peep from a bent rifle sight, the peep wouldn't fit in between the ladder

Lead Snowstorm

Post by Lead Snowstorm »

Mike4MSU wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:16 pm That said, I have a couple of comments regarding your carbine sight which is one of the more expensive components of any Krag carbine. I’m sure you’d agree that the screws are a little buggered up. In addition, both screws appear to be incorrect and not original. Assuming the threads haven’t been modified, you can find replacement ones online from S&S and others. There appears to be a number stamped on the base of your sight which I don’t understand. Finally, someone “opened” up the notch on your sight as the original was much smaller and a previous owner likely had trouble seeing it.
No doubt, the screws are wrong...gonna have to solve that one. And the notch is definitely opened.

Which number is the confusing one on the base? As far as I can tell...going back to the books...it is correctly marked up to 5, with the C on the side.

Mike4MSU

Post by Mike4MSU »

From the top photo, near the windage lever, there’s an upside down “3”. Just not sure why. I don’t think that detracts. But as you point out, if the screws and notch can be addressed, I would and shouldn’t cost much to fix assuming the threads in the barrel are good.

Here’s a post to my first Krag and 99 Carbine:
http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.co ... 772#p22772

Also, my experience with sight screws:
http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.co ... 753#p22753

Mike

Lead Snowstorm

Post by Lead Snowstorm »

Mike4MSU wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:42 pm From the top photo, near the windage lever, there’s an upside down “3”. Just not sure why. I don’t think that detracts. But as you point out, if the screws and notch can be addressed, I would and shouldn’t cost much to fix assuming the threads in the barrel are good.

Here’s a post to my first Krag and 99 Carbine:
http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.co ... 772#p22772

Also, my experience with sight screws:
http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.co ... 753#p22753

Mike
Gotcha. I've seen some numbers on sights there before, and have never figured out the significance.

Also, THANKS for the links! I hit mine with a little kroil just to make sure there was no funny business and they backed right out.

Off to find some screws!

Zac952

Post by Zac952 »

When you go about replacing the top plate for the sight notch there is a screw and also a very small pin on the opposite side, I use a dulled thumb tack to punch that small pin out, maybe there is a better way, but that worked well for me with next to 0 finish marring on the pin.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Lead Snowstorm' - That is a mighty nice looking model 1899 carbine.

You might check with the vendors in KCA classifieds. Your 'new' Krag deserves a set of original 1901 rear-sight screws.

I think your nicely matched wood might be Italian walnut. (Distinctive grain is circled in your photo).

Your metal has very nice colors.

The bore looks like it should clean-up with a little effort.

(Attached is a photo of a 1901 rifle sight to show things taken apart).
Attachments
LS new carbine.jpg
LS new carbine.jpg (65.92 KiB) Viewed 1656 times
m1901-1_002.jpg
m1901-1_002.jpg (203.66 KiB) Viewed 1656 times

Lead Snowstorm

Post by Lead Snowstorm »

butlersrangers wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:59 am 'Lead Snowstorm' - That is a mighty nice looking model 1899 carbine.

You might check with the vendors in KCA classifieds. Your 'new' Krag deserves a set of original 1901 rear-sight screws.

I think your nicely matched wood might be Italian walnut. (Distinctive grain is circled in your photo).

Your metal has very nice colors.

The bore looks like it should clean-up with a little effort.
Thank you sir! Yes, the wood is a lighter shade...my 1898 rifle also appears to have Italian walnut as well.

A set of (I think) the proper screws is on the way. The screw holes look OK, so hopefully they aren't hiding any unpleasant threading surprises. Will update when they arrive.

And the more I look at the metal, the more I think maybe I was wrong about it being cleaned. It's not that far off from the appearance of my 1896 rifle receiver. At least the markings still appear pretty sharp.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

A trick I use on Krag barrel sight-screw holes:

Pack a small cleaning patch, that is wet with Hoppes, into the hole using the tip of a small screw-driver. Then 'unscrew' the patch, and most of the crud will come out on the patch.

A wood stick-match also nicely cleans these blind-holes.

IMHO - Your threads look good.