You think you have it bad?

For poking fun and off topic subjects
FredC

You think you have it bad?

Post by FredC »

You could be like this couple. Hungry, dirty, mangy and looking for a mouse to eat.
Attachments
2Coyotes.jpg
2Coyotes.jpg (639.66 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
1 Coyote.jpg
1 Coyote.jpg (596.53 KiB) Viewed 2125 times

Knute1

Re: You think you have it bad?

Post by Knute1 »

Yet, they survive, adapt and overcome their harsh environment. Cunning and somewhat elusive. Are hunted and still populate.

My relatively petite female German Shepherd was attacked at the end of their breeding season in early March of this year. Canine puncture wounds in the throat area and a front leg. She found out that they are not going to be playmates. I hunt them around my home, sometimes in the backyard. Seen them 25 yards from my patio deck. If I get one it will be replaced within a year with another (or more). All I can really do is claim my territory and make sure they know not to come within my gun's range. However, they are still brave at night and sometimes sing a lullaby to me.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Back in the early 1960's, when I started small-game hunting, there was a $25 State Bounty on coyotes in Michigan.

That was serious money and coyotes were only found in remote areas.

The Bounty was discontinued, when it became apparent charlatans were bringing Dog Ears to the DNR offices.

Nowadays, coyotes are heard and sighted in every county and city of Michigan. Talk about adaptable!

Coyotes are probably causing the Fox to disappear or have to 'nest' close to humans out of desperation.

King carp

Post by King carp »

When I lived out west the U.S. Gov. Put out a huge contract for fur coated hoods on winter coats. Pacific furriers in Spokane was paying for the time really good money for coyotes with nice coats. That is what got me into varmint hunting. You could almost make a weeks pay with 2 or 3 coyotes. I live near o'hara airport now in chicago. I wish there was still a bounty on them. They sure can adapt. The news has many stories on pets being killed.
Attachments
20210814_103205.gif
20210814_103205.gif (270.92 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
20210814_104021.gif
20210814_104021.gif (341.88 KiB) Viewed 2096 times

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

The only good coyote is a ............ Well, I guess they serve a purpose in nature.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Seven out of every eight Coyotes have an account with ACME.

FredC

Post by FredC »

The only time I have seen them really get stupid is when they are eating peanuts. Killed many in the peanut field. Two of them from the front door of the house and one from the back door of the shop. The one from the shop back door was away from the peanut field but his stomach was dragging from gorging on peanuts. Neighbors watermelon field was a mile away but sometimes we would see piles of regurgitated red watermelon. They would gorge on the melons then throw up on my place. Probably they get stupid in the water melon patch but that is guessing since I have never hunted one.

These two have been showing up often on the game camera and sure look bad. If they survive the next few weeks the neighbors peanuts will be getting ripe. Not sure if anyone will be hunting that field.

The Acme comment was sure funny, I wish I could think of comments like that. Some people have a gift. I have seen a road runner near the shop and he is looking fine.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Gift! Hmmm .... my mother use to roll her eyes and tell me to "Stop talking like a sausage".

Beep Beep .... Back to Coyotes:

The spectacular wooded Parks of Vancouver, B.C., are having a rash of Coyote attacks on joggers, dog walkers, and children & pets of picnicking families.

It's a bad thing when predators get too comfortable with the human scent and associate us with food.

I'm sure there are a lot of people in B.C. that would handle the situation, if the municipal government listens to them (and not PETA).

Nothing like the threat of rabies to clarify one's thinking!

(Duh! Now Coyotes are misbehaving on Cape Cod. We'll see how that plays out .... maybe 'open carry' in Massachusetts? ... ya, right).
Attachments
stanley park.jpg
stanley park.jpg (59.91 KiB) Viewed 2061 times
coyote-stanley-park-ed.jpg
coyote-stanley-park-ed.jpg (143.38 KiB) Viewed 2061 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

I know some places have wolf/coyote Hybrids. Maybe they can get more aggressive towards humans. never heard of them attacking people except maybe very young children or babies left alone. We do not have any tourist/hiking trails through the wilds here, maybe that is why we do not hear of those kind of attacks.

I killed a young female many years ago and threw her into the back of the pick up. Later that day I was working on the central tower on the big center pivot. A big male in good shape not like the scrawny ones in the game camera photos came walking down the road and slowed by the pick upthen made a circle around me and walked back parallel to the road he came in on. He was all battle scarred unlike the female in the back of the truck. I figured he was broken up over his mates death and did not care if I shot him or not. I had seen him several times but never got a shot off at him. That time he made the loop around me is the last time I remember seeing him.

The first time I rode with the peanut farmer while combining, a coyote walked across the path of the tractor and came within a foot of the front tire. Farmer said that if he had a rifle with him he would have shifted to neutral with the combine still running and shot him. So close a sling shot or a long stick would have worked.

King carp

Post by King carp »

That coyote, wolf, dog mix has been dubbed "coywolf". Depending on the mix it seems some are more aggresive. Hey B.R. open carry in Massachusetts? Now that is funny.