New Krag Owner, looking for info

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
brugmanncues

Re: New Krag Owner, looking for info

Post by brugmanncues »

FredC wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:59 pm The common wisdom here is a nice modified sporter that would hard to convert back to original is worth $300.00. It has been the answer for many years. Seems like inflation would cause that number to go up after all this time. So maybe $301.00? If you plan on keeping it and not selling it, it really does not matter, you seem to have gotten a nice one. Enjoy!
no, I plan on keeping it. I was just curious is all. I reload too, and found a set of never been used Redding Deluxe dies at the same gun show for $45! still had the packing lube on and in them. I just felt it was meant to be after that lol

brugmanncues

Post by brugmanncues »

Culpeper wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:35 am
brugmanncues wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:07 pm
TY so much for all the info! Is it possible to either file the front sight, or, replace the rear sight to get a correct poa/poi? Also, any chance what the price tag would go for something like this nowadays? Just want to see if i got hosed at the gun show i got it from. I'm obviously not looking for collector value, I just wanted a good shooter.

Thank you,
Nathan
Take it to a range and sight it in on paper until get in the black. Then make a note where the rear sight is and that is number at that range. I would say 200 yards is a good check. So let's say you sight in at a physical 100 yards and the rear sight shows you 250 then the next time you want to shoot with the buddies set the rear sight at 250 and have at it.

Do the same for 50, 100, 150, and 200 and you should be good to go come what may. No filing. No buying a new sight.

However if you want to get a repeatable dope sheet buy yourself a P.J. O'Hare Sight Micrometer, if you can find one.
Makes sense. Sometimes I just overthink things lol. TY for the input!

brugmanncues

Post by brugmanncues »

butlersrangers wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:27 am There are different blade heights available for the 1903 sight-base. These items are not rare.
Blades can be filed to have shots register closer to point of aim.

Shooting your Krag is the best test to get things regulated to your liking.

There is not really a problem with having your rear-sight set at an "incorrect" distance, if the rifle is accurate and is shooting to the point of aim.
(For most people, sight graduations are just 'index numbers'. You just have to learn and remember or record the 'number' that has you sighted-in at a given distance).

Unless you are shooting in Service Rifle Matches or at a club with long range matches, you will probably be shooting your Krag with iron sights at 50 or 100 yards.

The sight micrometers, that 'Culpeper' mentioned, are expensive collectibles that were used in military target matches to return to known sight-settings for 200, 300, 500, 600, 800, 900, and 1,000 yards.

A nice solution for 'sportered' Krags, that will be used for Hunting or Target Range shooting at 50 or 100 yards, is using one of the old Redfield or Pacific "No-Drill" receiver sights. These sights show-up on eBay sometimes for about $60 to $100. These 'peep' sights generally work well with taller front-sights. They use the magazine cut-off opening and don't require gunsmith services.
I didn't even think about those sights. I have a 1903A3 that has the Lyman peep sight that was drilled into the receiver. Talk about a dead aim rifle! lol Yeah, the longest range around me is 100yds. TY so much for the wealth of knowledge from all you guys....KUDOS!!!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Here's one on eBay that will work for $50. I'll give you a longer screw needed for the side-plate.

The micrometer version is a pain on the Krag. You have to remove the elevation-slide to remove the rifle Bolt.
I prefer this version.
Attachments
ebay sight.jpg
ebay sight.jpg (236.03 KiB) Viewed 1262 times

brugmanncues

Post by brugmanncues »

butlersrangers wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:33 pm Here's one on eBay that will work for $50. I'll give you a longer screw needed for the side-plate.

The micrometer version is a pain on the Krag. You have to remove the elevation-slide to remove the rifle Bolt.
I prefer this version.
That would be awesome! I sent an offer of $40 and he accepted. So I just paid for it and now the wait on the post office lol. I'll be more than happy to pay you for the screw sir.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'brugmanncues' - 'Private Message' me a name & address and I will mail you a free longer screw required for attaching the Redfield 102K sight to the side-plate screw opening.
(There is a 'button' at the top of this page to PM fellow KCA members)

With your 'new' Redfield sight, the large coin-slotted screw is simply loosened. The elevation-staff can be quickly raised and will allow Bolt removal.

If the 'set-screw' has been properly adjusted, it allows an easy return to the sighted-in elevation.

(By contrast, the Redfield 75K sight requires its 'micrometer' to be totally 'unscrewed' to get the staff out of the way to remove the rifle Bolt. IMHO - It is easier to just take the whole sight off the rifle).

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

To PM you can also click on a member's name and or picture logo and go to their profile and PM from there