New guy 1898 pictures

U.S. Military Krags
Whig

Re: New guy 1898 pictures

Post by Whig »

When op sent me pictures of this Krag, I had the same reaction. This is my favorite rear sight and I think that it is original to his Krag rifle from the manufacture date and the use of this short-lived three notch rear sight. They sure are nice to see!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

That is an honest looking model 1898 Krag, with a nice patina.

Rifle number 136562 was assembled around October, 1898.
(Model 1898 production started around July, 1898, at approximately serial number 109000. The lowest known model 1898 number is 109342).
The rear-sight that first appeared on Krag Fan's rifle would have been the model 1896 rifle sight.

It is now wearing a "Dickson" model 1898 rifle sight (with all correct parts). I do not believe this sight is correct on Krag Fan's early model 1898 Krag.

The 1898 sight was designed to be used with the higher velocity 2,200 fps cartridge, that came into use in October, 1899. This is the higher pressure round that was suspected of cracking the Krag bolt locking-lug.
This cartridge was discontinued in March, 1900, and the 'hotter' ammo was broken down for components around August, 1900.
The model 1898 rear-sight is reported by a couple of authors as likely being installed on new rifles made in the 218K to 253K serial number range, (July, 1899 to March, 1900).

The model 1898 sight became obsolete when the 2,200 fps cartridge was withdrawn from service.

Model 1898 three-notch sights that remain intact are unusual survivors.
The sight was in use for a short period of time and was likely installed on new model 1898 rifles, as assembled, in a narrow serial number range.

(I am not aware of documentation of the 1898 sight being retrofitted to model 1898 rifles, that were manufactured before the sight's introduction. A lot of components for the 1898 sight did get into the hands of surplus dealers).

It is a possibility that someone replaced a model 1902 sight on Krag Fan's rifle, with a model 1898 sight, thinking it to be 'more correct'? We can never totally know. Maybe, hidden in annual reports or other documentation is mention of model 1898 sights being fitted to earlier rifles?

Regardless, if it were mine, I'd leave it like it is. It's Cool!

Krag Fan

Post by Krag Fan »

I had purchased this about 11 years ago without any knowledge of Krags. The only thing I knew was that I was fascinated with the rifle and to find one with the cartouche date that matched the receiver. The seller stated that it was all original, and the patina looked good to me. At the time I had no idea what I really had in terms of condition or originality. Whig and other members of KCA is the first time I’ve ever received any opinions on it. I consider this an “uneducated lucky buy” I’m pleased to hear the positive remarks.

After I had received my Krag books years ago, I thought I had read something about the rear sight could actually be original to my rifle, and would have to go back and find that excerpt. I won’t be changing anything and it will remain rent free in the safe for about 10 more years or so before I start liquidating my collection.

I would like to take the extra step and add the correct sling, if anyone has any suggestions on where to find one or a happen to have correct spare, I would be interested. Thanks everyone.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Original Krag slings have gotten quite pricey and are often cracked, because they have been folded and tensioned on a rifle for so long.

The Krag sling basically just served as a "carry strap".

Serviceable reproductions can be found on eBay for $25 or sometimes a lot less. I have several 'repros' that I got cheap. I do not leave leather slings on rifles. It is not good for leather or metal.

(I have not felt motivated to tie up hundreds of dollars in slings).

I believe, Turner Leather makes a Krag sling copy from very nice leather.

IIRC - Some of the originals were made from Civil War rifled-musket slings.

The Krag sling was not designed as a 'shooting aid'.
Townsend Whelen began advocating for the use of the rifle sling as a shooting support in the early 1900's.
Some improvising was done to use the Krag sling as a shooting aid.

This ultimately resulted in the creation of the Model 1907 sling, to serve as an aid in target shooting, with the 1903 Springfield Rifle.

Attached: Dr. Hudson showing early shooting sling use. Sea Girt in early 1900's, match shooters in foreground without slings. Engineers in London in 1917 with Krags and Krag slings.
Attachments
DrHudson_Krag.jpg
DrHudson_Krag.jpg (28.93 KiB) Viewed 752 times
sea girt Krags.jpg
sea girt Krags.jpg (189.54 KiB) Viewed 752 times
us-soldiers-london with krags.jpg
us-soldiers-london with krags.jpg (144.41 KiB) Viewed 752 times

Krag Fan

Post by Krag Fan »

Great pictures! Thanks for the sling info as well. I had purchased some new reproduction slings for some enfields several years ago and it really didn’t look authentic to me, so I removed them and found some used slings. I saw some detailed descriptions of the Krag sling In the book and just maybe I’ll get lucky and find one. Thanks Butler

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

You want a sling that is about 64 inches, total length, for the Krag. If one is 70-72 inches long, it is likely for the 'trap-door' Springfield.

It is kind of strange they did not come up with a more practical sling for the Krag.

The Mills 'tropical' canvas sling was a poor experimental design. The brass 'hooked' ends are too narrow and cause the sling to curl.

A Lee-Enfield (Mills) canvas sling makes a nice carry strap for the U.S. Krag. The hooks were made wider and solved the curling problem. But the Enfield sling is rather short.

Maybe the Krag sling was long (and bulky) so that it could be threaded around a foot, when firing from the "Back Position". This long range Shooting Position was still in use and one of the few applications photographed, in which the sling was used as a shooting aid.