Dutch Mannlicher Question

Other Firearms
indy650

Dutch Mannlicher Question

Post by indy650 »

found this Dutch Mannlicher that is listed as a old model 4 pre 1898. In my limited knowledge of the Dutch Mannlichers I know the old model 4 wasn't created until 1909 so my question is did they use existing model 1895 carbines to create these or is this not legit? All the serial numbers match except the bolt. Can't seem to find much info on these so I thought maybe someone on here would know. Thanks.
Attachments
pix466412792.jpg
pix466412792.jpg (146.33 KiB) Viewed 1642 times
pix722676047.jpg
pix722676047.jpg (136.59 KiB) Viewed 1642 times
pix162256482.jpg
pix162256482.jpg (170.64 KiB) Viewed 1642 times

butlersrangers

Re: Dutch Mannlicher Question

Post by butlersrangers »

Indy650 - It seems to be a rather nice looking Dutch Mannlicher carbine. I only ever gave Dutch military stuff a passing notice. You don't see the carbines at shows much, these days.

(Of all things, I would be most bothered by the bolt number mismatch).

Apparently, it is being sold by 'Grey Blanket', who always has nice stuff, gets top dollar, and gives pretty exact and correct descriptions of his items.

There is a lot of internet information on Dutch Mannlicher variants.
IIRC - There was a very formidable number of different Dutch carbine models.

The one you are inquiring about, I think, was adapted for bicycle troops.

As the Dutch mechanized, prior to WW2, there was an increasing need for compact rifles.

Ian McCollum - "Forgotten Weapons" - has a good video trying to clarify the 14 or 15 Dutch carbine variants.
Attachments
dutch.jpg
dutch.jpg (79.21 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
Dutch Steyr 1897 - cavalry.jpg
Dutch Steyr 1897 - cavalry.jpg (67.44 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
dutch maze.jpg
dutch maze.jpg (98.79 KiB) Viewed 1610 times

Doubly Reincarnated

Post by Doubly Reincarnated »

Apparently, the wooden extension on the left side of the magazine was to reduce wear & tear on jackets & shirts.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The 6.5 mm Mannlicher 'turn-bolts' made for a nice petite action.

I have never understood why the Dutch, who successfully remained neutral during WW1, sold off some of their Mannlicher infantry rifles following "The Great War for Civilization"?
(They could have easily been turned into more carbines)?

British Gun-Makers snatched them up and produced some beautiful .256 caliber "Highland Deer Rifles". I have always admired these nicely sportered rifles.
Attachments
Dutch British sporter.jpg
Dutch British sporter.jpg (740.42 KiB) Viewed 1604 times

indy650

Post by indy650 »

yeah I did find out they were for the bicycle troops C&Rsenal has a good video on these it just concerns me that they werent created until 1909 yet this one is pre-1898. I cant find any info relating to whether they would have used existing carbines/left over receivers to make these or not. Yeah it was from the grey blanket guy S Riesel he actually lives like 40 minutes from me. I asked him and he said he doesn't know.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I posted a photo of an identically configured Dutch carbine, dated Steyr 1897.

I imagine during arsenal 'refurbishing' early carbines got re-stocked to meet the current needs of the Dutch services.

Possibly, you might get fuller information on the 'Gunboards' site; they have a forum on Mannlichers.
But, that might also risk informing potential competing bidders of a nice carbine 'in play' on GunBroker.

I wish I could help more. Good Luck!

indy650

Post by indy650 »

thank you for the help!

indy650

Post by indy650 »

butlersrangers wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:38 pm The 6.5 mm Mannlicher 'turn-bolts' made for a nice petite action.

I have never understood why the Dutch, who successfully remained neutral during WW1, sold off some of their Mannlicher infantry rifles following "The Great War for Civilization"?
(They could have easily been turned into more carbines)?

British Gun-Makers snatched them up and produced some beautiful .256 caliber "Highland Deer Rifles". I have always admired these nicely sportered rifles.
i dont usually like anything sporterized but that's a damn nice rifle

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

BTW - It is not mine. Just a nice example, I found pictured on the internet.

Several prominent English Gun-Makers, like 'Jeffries' and 'Westley Richards', produced nice long-barreled Highland Deer Rifles, using surplus 6.5 mm Dutch infantry rifles. The .256 cal. ammo could be made using the .303 British cartridge case.

Doubly Reincarnated

Post by Doubly Reincarnated »

Since they were new (1890s), these "turn bolt" Mannlichers have been turned into single shot "match" rifles for the British long range matches. Iron micrometer sights, 10 lb weight limit, 3 lb trigger pull. Most recent (?) rules of the game say caliber can only be 7.62x51 NATO. I have seen one such rifle, made on a Steyr action dated 1892.
A 1915 book covering match rifles says that the turn bolt Mannlichers were preferred because the triggers could be easily adjusted and gave a fine let off.