Lewis And Grant Auction

U.S. Military Krags
Whig

Lewis And Grant Auction

Post by Whig »

I just scanned through the results of the L&G auction. I thought many of the Krags went kind of cheap. Still, with 20% buyer's premium, some of the less common Krags went for less than I expected. A nice Model 1896 saddle ring carbine was sold for $1100 (before fees) with the correct rear sight, as stated in the item description, but the picture shows the rear sight is a rifle sight. Poor representation when incorrect details are seen. I would think that the people running this big auction, which was heavily advertised, would know better. Some nice rare rifles were sold that are rarely seen. Krags sure have gone through many ups and downs in prices over the years.

https://www.proxibid.com/Lewis-amp-Gran ... log/220353

03collector

Re: Lewis And Grant Auction

Post by 03collector »

Condition Condition I was there, that carbine had only a faint P proof no cartouche. Rear sight leaf was C marked not the base.
The .30 caliber test rifle went for $47,500. Parkhurst-Zelinski went for $9000.00.
There was something for everyone's price range.
$1100.00 was a good price if that was a rifle it would of been $600.00.
Like you said thats the hammer price. Add 20% on top of that now your in the price range for the Condition of that carbine.

03collector

Post by 03collector »

Sorry i may be talking about a different 96 there were a few 96's in the auction.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I, as the owner of SOME of the same things, was generally disappointed, though I refer more to the trapdoors than Krags. Bill had some GREAT rarities and a lot of run-of-the-mill stuff. He was not, as John Spangler (Oldguns.net) said elsewhere, a "condition collector", an unfortunate fact of life for many of us. I decided early on to go for originality over shininess when a choice was required. I was fortunate enough to view much of Bill's collection in the early 90's. Really wanted his M1882 28" barrel TD w/rod bayonet back then, but I'm no longer a buyer.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

It has been a rather interesting week for looks at rare stuff on the KCA Forum!

FWIW - Although I joined the KCA in 2009, that still makes me a relatively 'new' member.
I bought my first Krag, one that had been altered for Hunting, about 40 years ago.
I own several Krag rifles that are probably in the configuration they were wearing, when they left the service.
I have done some Krag carbine and rifle 'rescues'. I have basically common models and 'shooters'.
I don't have any Krags that are pristine 'safe Queens' or ultra-rare models.

There are a good number of KCA members that were focused on Krags and other U.S. Martial Arms a long time ago.
Some members have pretty awesome collections and own or have handled, studied, and discovered some very desirable Krags.

When I look for stuff in the older KCA pages, that survived the "change over", I am entertained and humbled by a lot of the content and the collector discussions and exchanges that took place.

The past couple of weeks have been enjoyable, especially on the subject of Board of Ordnance and Fortifications rifles.
This was kind of brought up with the post by 'Wagon Mike', requesting information on his fantastic Krag rifle, #385120.

Posts by 'Whig' and others on recent gun auctions, featuring pieces from U.S. collections of note, have been quite instructional on rare rifle features and history.

The catalog and outcome of the sale of the Bill Rutter Collection, by Lewis & Grant Auctions is very interesting, even to a non-player, like me!

I particularly noticed the photos and sale of:

.30 caliber Trap-door Springfield rifle "N", which sold for $45,000, plus fees.

BoO&F rifle (and bayonet), #387767, which sold for $9,000. (This may be a 'new' number or it is a mistake and is really #387787).
If the number is really # 387767, it is not in the KCA serial number list or in the numbers Dick Hosmer was 'tracking', 12 years ago. FWIW - The photo actually looks like #387787 to me.
****SEE POST BY '03collector'**** - He won auction on Krag BoO&F rifle #387787 with bayonet. The auction catalog had the serial number incorrectly listed as ending with "767".
(Rifle #387787 is listed in the KCA table of 'Observed Krags').

BoO&F rifle (and bayonet), #388628, which sold for $2500. (This number is in the KCA serial number list and was noted by Dick Hosmer, 12 years ago).
Attachments
BoOF 387767 or 787.jpg
BoOF 387767 or 787.jpg (36.29 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
BoOF bayonet with 387767.jpg
BoOF bayonet with 387767.jpg (70.88 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
BoOF 388628.jpg
BoOF 388628.jpg (27.44 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
Last edited by butlersrangers on Fri May 13, 2022 8:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Dick,

I don't know enough about Trap Doors other than what you have taught me and learning about the one that I bought years ago as a part of my Krag collection but I did note that many nice Trap Doors seemed to sell for a pittance. maybe condition, as you said, was the driving variable with these prices. Also, there are probably few real Trap Door collectors out there and, since so many were sold at this specific auction, limited funds to spread around for all of them! Supply and demand!

Lead Snowstorm

Post by Lead Snowstorm »

Whoever got the 1870 carbines, I thought, did pretty well. The thing I was close to bidding on was the rod bayonet 1903. I suspect that was a pretty good deal as well but my knowledge was limited enough that I:

1. Wasn’t sure exactly how much of a rabbit hole I would’ve been getting into as a restoration project.

2a. Wasn’t sure what the “later barrel” caveat meant.

2b. Wasn’t sure why it was listed as .30-06.

2c. Wasn’t sure given the above it was really a good restoration candidate.

3. Didn’t get organized early enough to ask the auction for more info!

03collector

Post by 03collector »

It is not my intent to step on anyones toes maybe im reading this all worng. Bill told me many times he bought the best he could afford at the time. My Dad was the same way so am I , I will always try to upgrade if i can. Bill never sold anything he bought thats why he had so may of the same things.
At that auction there were only about 12 people bidding at the auction.
Myself,

Al Duquette, Tim Prince the others i didn't know. Most of the action came from the phones. Thats why I paid through the nose for my rifle.
The .30 cal test rifle had one international bidder he drove that rifle up to $44,000 then dropped out.
It really was my first time at that kind of auction I saved for 9 months for this auction i passed on a few good items but i have no regrets.
It was very interesting I wanted to be there in person to look at the stuff I had all day Wednesday to do that.

To Butlersranger, you are correct that was a typo in the auction its 787 not 767 its in the book.

WAGON

Post by WAGON »

Gentleman As a new Krag caretaker I am reading all the posts and amazed at the knowledge you all have and the desire to share opinions and knowledge. I am learning every time I get on the site Mike

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Mike, I am a 'bottom feeder' when it comes to antique firearms and have always looked for bargains and interesting stuff.
I have been 'custodian' to a few very rare, nice condition, pieces. (I also like to shoot and reload).
Financially, I have always stayed within a tight gun budget and part of the fun has been finding good items others didn't see.
I could not afford the time and money it takes to participate in fine gun auctions or amazing national gun shows.

I am at an age where I don't have to obtain more and often reassess what I have.
Some better items and things, that I no longer enjoy, get slowly sold off to 'good homes' and finance new 'toys' and experiences.
(A few items my sons would one day like to have in their homes, to remember me).

I can vicariously enjoy the collections and gun 'coups' of others.
Knowledge, understanding, good discussions, and shared experiences & learning are quite a rush!

I always found it interesting that in the Gaelic language, there is no verb for "owning" something. A person, creature or thing is "with you or by you".
That fits well with your being a 'caretaker' of your Krag.

I do like the KCA Forum members, enjoy their posts, and learn (or relearn) something new, every day.
Hope I don't piss too many people off in the process!