Looking for opinions on 1892 Krag

U.S. Military Krags
MosbyRidge

Re: Looking for opinions on 1892 Krag

Post by MosbyRidge »

Those photos definitely do help, thank you. My intent is to try to remove the goop with solvents (save a couple bucks and keep more "original" parts). I will try a bronze brush if chemical route doesn't work alone.

One issue I'm having is that the windage adjustment is not giving full range of motion. I've got it soaking in ballistol which is advertised as a penetrating oil. I don't want to remove that tiny pin in the adjustment knob if I don't have to.

I've ordered all the parts you had listed except the front blade.

Moviemaker 630 had original front blades for sale, but I noticed other sites that had reproductions in different profiles that had already been drilled (one less operation to make a mistake).

I've never used a peep sight before and am looking forward to. Is there a profile that works better with peep or is a hard edge a hard edge from that perspective?

And would brass be easier to see than steel?

Thank you

MosbyRidge

Post by MosbyRidge »

I have disassembled the rear sight and cleaned with soap and water. The black paint came right off with acetone. I'm happy with the condition of everything but am puzzled as to why the rear notch is so scratched up. Could they have been trying to dull that little bowl below the notch for some optical reason?

I found it interesting that the reason my windage adjustment was locked up was because someone had pinched a piece of brass round stock (pictured) between the peep plate screw and the windage adjustment screw. I'm glad they used brass because the adjustment is silky smooth now.

Speaking of which, why is there no windage adjustment lock? Is the screw fine enough that it doesn't turn much due to recoil? I guess the previous owner didn't think so.

https://imgur.com/a/M0QmcB0

Thanks

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'MosbyRidge' the 'flip-up' peep, officially added to the model-1902 sight, at a later date, does not really seem all that useful.

It is a real challenge for older eyes. Some people increase the aperture size a bit, with a small drill.
The 'flip-up' has often been unofficially called "Sgt. Peep". It functions best with the standard Krag front blade which is .413" high and .055" thick.

The 'peep' is easily bumped and knocked-out of position. I believe it was added to improve the 1902 sight for target work.
I like shooting with the 1902 sight, but do not use 'Sgt. Peep'. I use an old pair of 1 power Reading Glasses at the Range, so I can see the rear notch and front blade clearly.

The old Marble's commercial (Krag) front-sight blades, with a gold bead, work nice with Krag rear-sights.

I imagine the scratches on your 1902 sight's eyepiece were caused by someone cleaning off paint with a knife or tool.

At the Range, the eyepiece and front-blade can be 'sooted' with a candle or carbide lamp to improve visibility.

(p.s. - I copy and repost your photos for convenience and future reference. Eventually links to off-site photos expire and the thread loses its context & usefulness. I hope you don't mind).

BTW - Nice job of disassembling and reassembling your rear-sight!
Attachments
ridge-eyepiece.jpeg
ridge-eyepiece.jpeg (135.61 KiB) Viewed 846 times

MosbyRidge

Post by MosbyRidge »

I have ordered a reproduction front sight blade and look forward to trying Sgt. Peep.

I'd say you're right about the scratches.

I have used 'sooting' before, but never on sights. I will try that.

Feel free to use the photos however. If someone else can get some use from them, that's great.

Thanks!

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

What a lying POS that seller seems to be - would be a good one to avoid.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Kind of late to the Dance, Dick!

Our new member, 'MosbyRidge', is having fun and learning a lot, while turning a sow's ear 'parts gun' into a 'Shooter', that he has every right to enjoy and take some pride in.

Mosby wanted an affordable Krag, that he could work on and not harm a piece of history. He is showing a good attitude and skills!
Attachments
Mosbys Lefty-Krag (2).jpg
Mosbys Lefty-Krag (2).jpg (351.13 KiB) Viewed 811 times

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

But you are correct Dick for future reference!

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Which is all I meant, of course. Seems to be a very nice and polite young man who has done a great job of putting your advice to good use. The finished item doesn't look half bad - he should have a lot of fun with it, as well as learning a good lesson about doing one's homework BEFORE opening the wallet and letting the moths out (old Scottish humor).

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Oh, so now it's ethnic stereotyping .... Dick, you've cut my 'Black' Scottish heart to the quick!
(Please, don't go apologizing! Celts enjoy a good insult).

Here is something, I use to find amusing:

When our Parish Priest required a substitute, we often had a 'retired' Priest from Ontario, named "Father George".
Father George's visits often coincided with the fund-raising drive for the Archdiocese of Detroit.

From the pulpit, Father George would say, "Give like a Presbyterian"!

He would go on to explain, that the Scottish Presbyterian Churches of Ontario had congregations, who per capita, were the most generous of people.
By contrast, Ontario Catholics were dismal cheapskates.

So much for the legendary Scottish 'Thrift'.

Hey, did you hear about the Scottish father, who yanked his son out of school?
The teacher had asked the lad to pay attention!

(I think, I'll march off to my SAFE SPACE, now).