Pest that needs to die!

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

Re: Pest that needs to die!

Post by butlersrangers »

''FredC' is earning a new KCA nickname, "Armadillo Trim".

BTW - 'uiovbged332 - The Spammer' is a pest that needs to die!

FredC

Post by FredC »

butlersrangers wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:36 pm ''BTW - 'uiovbged332 - The Spammer' is a pest that needs to die!
I would not go that far, but permanently banned with posts deleted would be good.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Visitors to the cantaloupe patch.

You have heard of scare crows, I need a scare does.
Attachments
Visitor#4.jpg
Visitor#4.jpg (638.89 KiB) Viewed 928 times
Visitor#3WithMask.jpg
Visitor#3WithMask.jpg (397.39 KiB) Viewed 928 times
Visitor#2.jpg
Visitor#2.jpg (490.43 KiB) Viewed 928 times
Visitor#1RS.jpg
Visitor#1RS.jpg (375.02 KiB) Viewed 928 times

FredC

New toy

Post by FredC »

I put an extra wire about 5 feet from the ground around the cantaloupe patch seems to keep hungry doe out. I did buy a closeout AGM Taipan handheld monocular. I have found and killed a number of armadillos using it. Amazing device even for just exploring at night. It pretty useful even in the daytime for hunting or finding insulation deficiencies in your house.

So far I have taken no photos of armadillos, too busy then to push the button. Cat in cover, herd of deer about 100 yads out, and cotton tail near the melon patch. He gets a pass as he does not eat much and dodging the goofball cat as long they have .

Saw a mouse with the handheld the other day he disappeared in some tall grass, cat came over about six feet away but did not seem to pay any attention. I went in the house and about 2 minutes later the cat was at the back door screaming. Looked out and he had a mouse he was showing off.
Attachments
EZVZ0017.JPG
EZVZ0017.JPG (20.7 KiB) Viewed 823 times
EZVZ0013.JPG
EZVZ0013.JPG (45.55 KiB) Viewed 823 times
EZVZ0005.JPG
EZVZ0005.JPG (60 KiB) Viewed 823 times

FredC

Invasive species.

Post by FredC »

Polish scientists have declared that another invasive species needs attention. Domestic cats. Some are hard on birds. One of the local wildlife experts declared them to be quail killing machines.
Our goofball does not seem to like birds and our resident quail population is as high as I have ever seen it. I do kill feral cats as Goofball is very territorial and gets cut up fighting them and feral cats will be hard on the birds.

The photo accompanied the article on cats:
Attachments
InvasiveAlienSpecies.jpg
InvasiveAlienSpecies.jpg (64.59 KiB) Viewed 637 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

More on declaring domestic cats alien species than need controlling. The Egyptians domesticated cats many centuries ago. Controlled rodents and preserved stored grain. Some how the benefit they have done in saving grain from devastation and human lives spared from rodent borne diseases has to be in the mix. The world would be a very different place if cats had not been domesticated.

I caught a cat in a live trap here and noticed it looked like the ones at a neighbor's house. I took it back to his house and let it go. After talking to him, he had about 5 of the similar looking cats and thought coyotes had eaten several of them. I was seeing them over a wide area and think it was just too crowded at his place and several of them just went feral. I do not think they were pets just animals he fed to stick around and control rodents and snakes.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Cats just like to do their "Thing".
Attachments
hemingway cats.jpg
hemingway cats.jpg (240.25 KiB) Viewed 608 times
insurance.jpg
insurance.jpg (51.94 KiB) Viewed 611 times

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

FredC

Conserving energy

Post by FredC »

Cats do a lot of resting. Outside cats are storing up that energy to hunt. Notice how cool the goofball cat is compared to the rabbits. Even when getting ready to pounce he is still as cool as a cucumber. This time the rabbit moved off and lived to see another day.

People with a bunch of outside cats think they are lazy, but they have no idea what happens at night. From what I have heard well fed cats will hunt close to home but ones that are fed little will range to hunt so that is counterproductive if you want to rid the rodents nearby. Observing Goofball and the others we have had I will say this is true.
Attachments
CatWithAlmostLunchRabbit.JPG
CatWithAlmostLunchRabbit.JPG (38.26 KiB) Viewed 593 times
CatWithRabbits2.JPG
CatWithRabbits2.JPG (39.61 KiB) Viewed 593 times

FredC

Maybe cats are not so hard on wildlife

Post by FredC »

Maybe the Polish researchers overreacted to threat of cats on wildlife diversity.

https://theconversation.com/dont-blame- ... nic-138710

Interesting that cat's control of rodents can actually help songbirds.