Fun With Animals

For poking fun and off topic subjects
FredC

It is so hot in Texas

Post by FredC »

A few years ago, I posted a prank photo someone made of a deer feeder overflowing with popcorn.

This one is for real. I went to pick up a garden hose by the reservoir pump and there was a fawn underneath the pump. Kind of awkward with his leg inside the pump casting but he was in the shade, lying on cool concrete, and a 6 inch suction line full of water over its head. After I took the photo I turned around slowly and reached for the hose. That was the fawn's chance to skedadle, but he bumped his head in the process. OUCH!

Could not find the old post so I added the Popcorn feeder photo.
Attachments
ItIsSoHotInTexas.jpg
ItIsSoHotInTexas.jpg (99.64 KiB) Viewed 865 times
FawnUnderPump.jpg
FawnUnderPump.jpg (134.42 KiB) Viewed 884 times

FredC

Re: Fun With Animals

Post by FredC »

butlersrangers wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:26 am Is it safe to come out? ..... or is FredC lurking around with that 'infrared thingy'.
Found out the answer to my question, coons do show up fairly well on the infrared thingy? Even through the weed stubble he shows up pretty hot. Sometimes his ears showed up as well. just have to get used to the shape and how the critters move for better ID. Not the same as night vision.
Attachments
EZVZ0115.JPG
EZVZ0115.JPG (30.97 KiB) Viewed 842 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

Br sent me an email asking about my welfare in this heat. Yeah, it is hot here. Seems like it has been 2 weeks now with excessive heat warnings. Posting on this old thread with jokes about Texas heat seemed appropriate. We had a very wet spring with cool weather and an excess of rain. This high pressure system parked south of us and is baking us now. Having 107 to 110 degrees which would not be so bad if the humidity was lower, but the dew points have been in the mid 60s to the mid 70s. Tropical beyond muggy humidity with real temps at 110+ what's not to like about that? Pretty soon all the spring mosquitoes will be baked, and I can start hunting at night again. You always see funny and interesting animal capers at night, getting close to the 4th and I expect to see a lot more newborn fawns.

I sold the ranch last month and retained 42 acres the house and shop are on. I am helping out the new owner but not working quite as hard (mostly in the late evenings or early mornings before going to work). The new owner was bailing hay next door with a new to him John Deere tractor. The radiator and top radiator hose blew up on him. Tractors with A/C let ranchers work when it is really too hot to work. He found a lot of gunk in the bottom of the radiator and engine block so he should be back in business soon.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

It's good you are doing "OK", Fred. It sounds like you are as busy as ever.
There have been lots of loss and changes in your life, this year. It is good that you are active.

I cannot imagine dealing with your Texas temperatures and humidity!

We received some much needed 'soaking rain' this week. The grass has revived!
It would be good if the precipitation slacked off a bit, so we can mow and keep the mosquitoes down.

I don't know how the crops are really fairing. The corn is not very high for the 4th of July.

Enjoy the Holiday!

FredC

Post by FredC »

First day in weeks that we are not showing to be in the excessive heat warning region. For those that are not familiar with the terminology, excessive heat warning is worse than the excessive heat watch. We are not even in the watch area today. WOOHOO!

Tuesday, I jumped from the frying pan into the fire. We were called to a 3 mile long fire started by a semi that had its load shift. He drug a large hose reel for that distance throwing many sparks. Got there in my little truck and was mopping up spots along the road and a county worker asked if he could drive me from spot to spot while I was on the front bumper with the hose. He had trouble watching me and following my hand signals. He parked me in an area of flames and heavy smoke for a minute. Not being able to breath is way worse than a little more heat.

The day before we were called to assist on an ambulance call. The rancher suffered a compound fracture to his lower leg. The location was very difficult to find and dispatch was giving directions that made it worse. The victim was able to crawl about forty feet through heavy grass burrs then under a barbed wire fence to get away from the spooked cattle. He was out in the sun for about an hour before EMS got there. We found a fellow rancher holding an umbrella or parasol over him to give him some shade. In other circumstances it would have looked silly, but it probably saved him from even worse complications.

The high that has been parked south of us or over us is breaking down and moving east. Hopefully we will get some afternoon clouds soon. This cloudless afternoon sun for the last 3 weeks has been tough. Not normal, reminds me of Phoenix except we have had the high humidity on top of the merciless sun. working in a machine shop with A/C is a good thing.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

butlersrangers wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:00 am I told jokes to this cow and made goofy faces, until she laughed so hard .... Milk came out her nose!
A' real Heeland Coo!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Animals are FUN ... and Funny!
Attachments
join the cavalry edit.jpg
join the cavalry edit.jpg (250.45 KiB) Viewed 600 times

trapdoor4570

Post by trapdoor4570 »

I love the black hole. Mine wasn’t so black, more black & tan and huge fangs. It was fun opening the door on a salesman. I taught her to smile, a big Rotty smile.
I was never able to get a photo of the black hole that was under the electronics bench before I retired, drop a fiddly little component never to be seen again. It has a twin under the bench at home, drop a primer or a tiny spring and spend hours, well you know the rest.