Sportered, German marked. Any insight to model?

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
MonarchBlack

Sportered, German marked. Any insight to model?

Post by MonarchBlack »

Hello KCA,

Many years ago, I got a Krag from my father. It's been sportered, so I'll post it in this category. My grandfather got a deer with it, my dad got a deer with it, and now I have it. I had it out tonight to freshen up the oil and I was trying to figure out what it was before it got modded. I was hoping someone here may be able to help, since you seem to be the largest still-active Krag group on Google.

I'm in the US, so I don't really know where to go for serial number lists and the sort. It is a bit of an oddball. It is a 1906 Norwegian production 6.5x55 with 20.5" barrel, so I think it's either a 1895, 1897 or 1904. (I don't think it's a 1906 due to the high serial number and them only making a couple thousand 1906s.) But then it has a German etch on it, which has it being seized much later. It has 2 serial numbers. The bulk of the gun is 8128, with the trigger guard and butt plate being 8110. (see photos)

The action is still buttery smooth. You can still work it with your pinky (see vid https://youtube.com/shorts/DyiyXc3FXYg?feature=share ), so I was thinking about getting the surface cleaned up a bit and using it since it is a capable round. I do have a couple hundred rounds for it. My eyes aren't what they used to be, so if anyone knows a place online to get a scope mount, that would be great. If not, I'll find a local gunsmith.

Any insight you can give would be very appreciated. I'm a fan of history and have always wondered what this gun's story was, since it seems to be all over the place.

butlersrangers

Re: Sportered, German marked. Any insight to model?

Post by butlersrangers »

'MonarchBlack' - Welcome to the KCA Forum. That is an interesting family hunting rifle that you inherited.

I don't know who did the alteration work on your Norwegian Krag.
I would guess, based on the Nazi Eagle 'etched' into the metal finish, the work was done during the German Occupation of Norway, 1943 to 1945.
(Maybe it was a shooting prize, gift or presentation piece for a German Officer or Political Official)?

It appears your 'sporter', serial #8128, was made from an altered model 1904 'Royal Engineers Carbine.

Norway actually did not begin manufacturing this model until 1906. 1,500 were produced that year in two serial number blocks: 7,781 to 8,530 and 9,281 to 10,030.
Your receiver serial number is in the first block of numbers. Your stock/butt-plate number is also from that block of model 1906 Engineer Carbines. Your sporter stock appears to be a re-worked Engineer stock.
Last edited by butlersrangers on Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MonarchBlack

Post by MonarchBlack »

Thank you for the timely info Butler. That is very interesting. It sounds like the the only part that isn't semi-original is the William's rear sight. Very cool. I did not realize.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Nothing to add to Br's info. Nice looking sporter. I did hunt deer with a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser. Texas hill country deer are on the small side, so I used 120G bullets with a moderate charge of powder. It worked quite well, for much larger deer or moose I would use 140 g bullets.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

BTW - It would totally destroy the collector interest and value of your Norwegian Krag, if the receiver was drilled & tapped for a scope mount.

Scopes placed on a Krag receiver need to be off-set to the left to allow for ejection of fired cases. The scope also interferes with using the issue 'safety' lever.

A viable solution is a long eye-relief "Scout" scope, mounted on the barrel.
You may have threaded screw-holes on your barrel that would allow the mounting of a Weaver or Picatinny-type scope block on your barrel.
Weaver-type scope rings are plentiful, strong and inexpensive.

(The modern Williams barrel-sight is your Krag's largest blemish. Replacing it is no "crime").

MonarchBlack

Post by MonarchBlack »

Yeah, a long-relief scope on the barrel is what I was thinking. It has the two screws for the original adjustable rear sight, plus the tap where the Williams is. I was thinking rail on there with some risers that bring the scope back, then a long-relief scope. Probably can't go too beefy with the scope, as those taps aren't real heavy gauge, but could get something with a better sight picture than shallow-v iron sights.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I am posting a couple of photos of a KCA member's "scout rig". If you use the KCA search tab, you can explore old pages on this subject.

I am taking the liberty of posting a couple of you picture details on 'Gunboards Forums'. Some Scandinavian Experts will likely know more about your German Markings.

Also attached are some photos of a 'model 1904 Engineer carbine'.
Attachments
krag scout2.JPG
krag scout2.JPG (112.56 KiB) Viewed 982 times
Krag scout1.JPG
Krag scout1.JPG (97.59 KiB) Viewed 982 times
IMG_0745.JPG
IMG_0745.JPG (154.87 KiB) Viewed 982 times
IMG_0746.JPG
IMG_0746.JPG (142.59 KiB) Viewed 982 times

MonarchBlack

Post by MonarchBlack »

Sure. Ask away. My degree was in archaeology, so it's always a good idea to consult outside sources with different experience. (I'm not working in it obviously, they don't tell you there is 1 job for every 20 graduates.)

Yeah, something like those pics is what I was thinking. I'll have to check out some past posts. I was looking at maybe a Leupold or Burris handgun sight, then some rings like I have on my AR. Probably don't need them that tall though, since the Krag doesn't have a straight stock. Just need enough to get it up over the bevel on the receiver and back another inch or so.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Pistol scopes tend to be expensive. Barrel-mount LER Shotgun scopes are cheap & bright and nice for Wood's distances.

Krag ejection is almost straight up. It is good to have the ocular lens well forward of the path of ejecting cartridge-cases.

A 'centered' low barrel-mounted scope, allows a nice 'cheek-weld' on a military Krag stock comb.

MonarchBlack

Post by MonarchBlack »

If you know a shotgun scope with a 16" eye relief (what I'd need if the scope is forward of the ejection port), I'd be interested to see a link. The only thing I've seen with that is Leopold, Burris and Nikon pistol scopes up to the 6x-ish range, if adjustable. There is a Leapers one or two, but I don't trust their numbers. I have a couple Leapers, and while nice value scopes, their eye relief on both feel over-advertised when holding them.