Camp Perry 2022

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
oney

Re: Camp Perry 2022

Post by oney »

Hopefully I will be able to make the Mosin Clips work, otherwise I guess I'll have to get better at the "scoop up the ammo" loading method. Either way, 80 seconds is quite a long time provided one does not screw up the reload.

I am having pretty good success using cast loads in one of my Krags with a .310" bore. It's not the prettiest rifle, but it does shoot well. The other rifle I am tinkering with has a bore that is pitted well beyond the ability to use cast loads. The standard 220gr / IMR4350 load does well though and will hold the 10 ring if I do my job. I used some Master's Bore Cleaner and after a good soaking started getting "chucks" of fouling out of the bore. The bore has a pretty good shine to it now, but with pitting present. Hoping to make CP next year and compete in the Roosevelt Match. I was hoping they would have a Roosevelt at the Talladega 600 in November, but it's not on the roster. :(

Thanks for all the info...

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

I read somewhere awhile ago that K31 chargers work but never tried one

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Ned, the K31 chargers would work, and I've heard of people using them in the past. The one problem I see is that they're closed all the way around at the bottom... so you'd have to use a finger to press them in rather than your thumb. Para's design is open to the bottom for the thumb so your thumb follows the rounds right down to the gate opening.

Oney - Unfortunately, they discontinued the Roosevelt Match with the 2020 schedule (the year that got cancelled). This was because with COVID, several matches were rescheduled in order to spread out firing points and still get all of the matches in. The spreading of the firing points was abandoned for the 2021 National Matches, but they kept the changes in the schedule. Some of the changes include: The M1 Carbine match was moved to Friday morning (which took the place of the Roosevelt match). The M1A match was moved to Sunday afternoon (on Rodriguiz). The Vintage, Springfield, Garand and Modern Military matches were all combined to be shot together from Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon (previously, they were separate matches: Vintage and Springfield were shot on Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday. Garand was Saturday morning, and Modern Military was Friday afternoon). I really wish they WOULD bring back the Roosevelt (it was held for 4 years: 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019) because it singles out Krags as being an important weapon in the US military... and you competed against other Krags and early 1903s only (in Vintage, you must compete a Krag against a plethora of other foreign rifles such as Arisaka, Mosin, K31, SMLE, Mauser, M1917, etc.)

oney

Post by oney »

The Roosevelt match was held at this year's DDay Match at Talladega back in June. I see the CMP has the dates for 2023 posted, but not the match program. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they hold the Roosevelt match.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

The CMP usually has the NM schedule posted by the completion of the previous year. If I remember correctly, they've published the schedule out to 2024... but I'll double check. As you said, hopefully, it will return in 2023. I'd love to do Talladega, but with the distance, it's just too far to go for me (unless I fall into a pile of cash and can convince the wife to let me go)! Camp Perry is less than a 2 hour drive, whereas Talladega would be an 8 to 10 hour drive!

reiver

Post by reiver »

Check this guy out...6.5 x 55 for sure

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=kr ... M%3DHDRSC3

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Yes, incredibly fast, and triggering with his pinky to boot. Seen this clip many times over the last several years!

Whig

Post by Whig »

I can never watch this video too much either! Amazing speed and dexterity with the Krag! I wonder how long and many rounds it took for them to achieve this level of skill!