Interesting Danish Krag

European Krags
butlersrangers

Interesting Danish Krag

Post by butlersrangers »

'skillest' posted interesting content on the Gunboards Forum, about an 1887 Danish Krag, serial number 5.

It is listed on GunBroker, item #945067448. I am not a 'player', but it appears rather gorgeous!

It is in a sporting rifle configuration, but may have been a prototype in the development of the model 1889 Danish Krag?
Attachments
Dane No.5-1.jpg
Dane No.5-1.jpg (61.92 KiB) Viewed 2492 times
Dane No.5-2.jpg
Dane No.5-2.jpg (49.49 KiB) Viewed 2492 times
Dane No.5-3.jpg
Dane No.5-3.jpg (117.68 KiB) Viewed 2492 times

FredC

Re: Interesting Danish Krag

Post by FredC »

It is interesting indeed. Seems to be a modern sporterizing of a prototype. Could the original have been built as a commercial hunting rifle or was it built in military configuration? Did wood worms eat the original stock and someone needed to do something with the remainder? Looks like it was not finished. Futuristic stock design with clunky prototype sights. Knowing the real history would answer a lot of questions.

skillest

Post by skillest »

FredC wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:17 pm It is interesting indeed. Seems to be a modern sporterizing of a prototype. Could the original have been built as a commercial hunting rifle or was it built in military configuration? Did wood worms eat the original stock and someone need to do something with the remainder? Looks like it was not finished. Futuristic stock design with clunky prototype sights. Knowing the real history would answer a lot of questions.
Unfortunately, we don't know much about this one at all, aside from it being in a US private collection. These are the first images I've ever seen of 1887 serial 5. After the Danish Small Arms Commission tested Krag and Jørgensen's "MOD B/1886" rifle (the first "true" Krag–Jørgensen) they ordered five examples for testing based on that rifle. These additional rifles were also to be produced at Kongsberg Våpenfabrikk in Norway, and extra rifles of this pattern were also manufactured by Ole Krag at Kongsberg for marketing and display purposes in hopes of drawing in those who could fund the rifle's development. One such rifle is this one.

https://digitaltmuseum.no/021025479384/gevaer

Although the one I linked has the same style of bolt/action design as serial 5, this one doesn't have a serial number, perhaps due to its purpose as a display rifle. Since the previous rifle has serial number 5 stamped on multiple locations, it's likely that it was originally in a military configuration, similar to MOD B/1886, and has since been sporterized. I'm assuming someone grabbed this rifle at some point and treated it like any other, customizing it how they wanted. However, it's impossible to know for sure.

I'd love to learn more about its history but the seller is unresponsive to any inquiries about the rifle.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'skillest' - Thanks for your posts on Gunboards and KCA!

FredC

Post by FredC »

Quote Skillest "and extra rifles of this pattern were also manufactured by Ole Krag at Kongsberg for marketing and display purposes in hopes of drawing in those who could fund the rifle's development. One such rifle is this one."

The idea that it may have been a hunting rifle crossed my mind. Given to a wealthy person to help secure funding for the project does seem plausible. The clunky looking sights are hard to explain unless it was originally in military configuration.

"It's a mystery, Charlie Brown" to quote Mr. Schulz. There sure are a lot of mysteries where Krags are concerned. Reminds me of my cat, he does a lot of mysterious things and I ask him about them, but he never tells.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The GunBroker offering, 'System Krag-Jorgensen Model 1887' - rifle #5, appears to have sold with a single bid of $2,800.

Actually, with the exception of the new looking 'butt-pad' and QD swivel-studs, the sporter-stock lines look rather early to me.
It is a Krag that raises a whole multitude of questions. I hope it went to a good home and we learn more about it!

Some more picture details from the GB auction posting.
Attachments
dane9.jpg
dane9.jpg (114.92 KiB) Viewed 2390 times
dane6.jpg
dane6.jpg (73.66 KiB) Viewed 2390 times
dane7.jpg
dane7.jpg (69.22 KiB) Viewed 2390 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

The area around the side plate reminded me of the Whitney pistol, thus the comment "futuristic". Maybe that is original Krag as the seller made the comment some original lines are still there? Then I looked for crude sporterizing on the stock and see the lines on the checkering are course on one side and fine on the other. I guess I did not look hard enough. Seems odd that a military stock would have had enough extra wood to carve away and leave what looks like a cheek piece.

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Post by Tom Butts »

This one is on its way to me to add to my Danish Krag collection. :-)

I will share more as I learn more.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Fantastic Tom, congratulations!

skillest

Post by skillest »

Tom Butts wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:20 am This one is on its way to me to add to my Danish Krag collection. :-)

I will share more as I learn more.
Fantastic! Can't wait to learn more/see more about it.

Also, if you're willing to take some additional photos I could use in my book, let me know!