Wild world out there at 3:00AM

For poking fun and off topic subjects
FredC

Re: Wild world out there at 3:00AM

Post by FredC »

Just another pair of thermal images. We have night hawks that spend most of the year here. Not sure what they eat, I would guess mostly insects and mice. I have never seen then hunt, usually sit on the ground and call. Sometimes see them flying near streetlights so they may be catching flying insects. When using lights when hunting you see mostly a single eye illuminated. If you get close, they fly a few yards away.

The other is my new hood ornament. I had a couple more but must have accidentally deleted them.
Attachments
NightHawk.JPG
NightHawk.JPG (44.08 KiB) Viewed 671 times
HoodOrnament.JPG
HoodOrnament.JPG (21.23 KiB) Viewed 671 times

FredC

My place where lots of little bucks hang out.

Post by FredC »

Just checked a camera after 6 months of forgetfulness. The camera reset the date on Aug 22, so the photo is from last month. Well the big bucks hang out next door viewtopic.php?p=42309#p42309 and lots of wimps hang out below the shop. Seven of them in this photo. I have 12,000 other photos to sort though but this one is the most interesting so far.
Attachments
IMG618RS.jpg
IMG618RS.jpg (882.77 KiB) Viewed 627 times

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

:o :o :o :o

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Time to load up some wooden bullets!
Attachments
Knottsferatu.jpg
Knottsferatu.jpg (48.67 KiB) Viewed 593 times

FredC

Wild World at 9:30PM

Post by FredC »

Went out about 9:30 to turn off the center pivot. Saw what I thought was a coyote, used the cover of the water pouring out of the pivot to get closer. Took the shot and wounded it with the 22. Chased it up the Klein field, found it lying down and a herd of deer came by. Shot it again and found it dead after the 3rd shot. Not sure if it was a large fox or juvenile coyote. Maybe I can get a photo early before the buzzards get it tomorrow morning.
Photos with crosshairs are from the rifle, without are from the nomocular.
Attachments
coyoteOrFox2.JPG
coyoteOrFox2.JPG (32.74 KiB) Viewed 564 times
CoyoteOrFox.JPG
CoyoteOrFox.JPG (29.95 KiB) Viewed 564 times
CanidAndDeer5.JPG
CanidAndDeer5.JPG (24.91 KiB) Viewed 564 times
CanidAndDeer4.JPG
CanidAndDeer4.JPG (31.52 KiB) Viewed 564 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

I saw the remains of the canid a couple of days ago. Right now, I think it was a young coyote.
This evening at 9:30 local time I turned off the reservoir pump and saw a bunch of ducks in the water. The water on the far side is black where it reflects the cool vegetation, the dim white spots are ducks in the water. The hot spot above the dam is the 3 phase transformer bank. The other photo was a puzzle to what the hot spots were, then the deer in the middle stood up and stretched. Obviously a herd of deer lying in the tall grass.
Attachments
EZVZ0177.JPG
EZVZ0177.JPG (26.35 KiB) Viewed 523 times
EZVZ0176.JPG
EZVZ0176.JPG (18.95 KiB) Viewed 523 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

A couple more deer thermal images. One of deer applying for night machinist job by the shop. Tractor in front of the house 1 John Deere plus 29 little deer. The FedEx Ground driver picked up a package just at closing time. She asked about the deer head and antlers by the front door of the shop. She wanted one like that, kind of hard to find, the one by the shop was killed by a road hunter not far from the shop. I pointed the herd of deer was in front of my house. Her reply was that the deer here were so small, turned out she is from one of those "M" states where they have big deer. I cannot remember if it was Michigan or Minnesota. I told her I have heard of 200 pound white tails up there and I think our brutal summers stunt the locals.
Attachments
RestOf29Deer.JPG
RestOf29Deer.JPG (24.81 KiB) Viewed 427 times
JD+29LittleDeer.JPG
JD+29LittleDeer.JPG (24.68 KiB) Viewed 427 times
DeerApplyingFor NightMachinist - Copy.JPG
DeerApplyingFor NightMachinist - Copy.JPG (16.91 KiB) Viewed 427 times