Bloodiest Chapter In Philippines

For poking fun and off topic subjects
Knute1

Bloodiest Chapter In Philippines

Post by Knute1 »

A little bit of history, published almost a 100 years later in 1998, of Krag use in the Philippines and the soldiers behind them. Pages 16 thru 23 and is a first person account as it comes out of a soldier's diary.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Infantry/Hdos1jMkkWIC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=krag+jorgensen+hut&pg=PA20&printsec=frontcover

butlersrangers

Re: Bloodiest Chapter In Philippines

Post by butlersrangers »

A very interesting Read!

First hand accounts of desperate, close-quarter fighting with Krag rifles: Vivid details of magazine cut-off use and jamming rifle under panic conditions, cracking stock on attacker's head, but, continuing fight with stock damage!

Attached photo of Balangiga Memorial (Samar, P.I.).

A very complicated story, with very diverse perspectives, which goes to show that 'War is Hell'.

The aftermath was the brutal "March Across Samar". (It had to mess up minds for Life. I'm glad I wasn't there)!Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

In 'pacifying' Samar, it was not just 'Civilize them with a Krag'.

Winchester-Lee rifles were in use by Marines and Naval landing-parties, judging by their web-gear.ImageImage

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Here's a little more on the subject of Samar.

https://philippineamericanwar.webs.com/balangigamassacre1901.htm

148Infantry

Post by 148Infantry »

Thanks for sharing the Infantry Magazine article. Very intense fighting. It was a humbling read for Memorial Day. I love Krags. Honestly my favorite US bolt action and one of my favorite military rifles ever. BUT I would NOT want to have to fight a close quarters urban/jungle warfare conflict with a 30 inch barrel, side loading gate, fragile thin wood stocked M1896. Bless those gents whom history has mostly forgotten who did exactly this.
Underneath our starry flag...Civilize 'em with a Krag