"GTG Postal" mark on America Legion drill rifles

U.S. Military Krags
general ike

Re: "GTG Postal" mark on America Legion drill rifles

Post by general ike »

Thanks for correcting my angles. Sadly these were used with blanks, (I assume the Krags were as well at one time), but never cleaned. They all had heavy barrel/chamber build ups that have collected moisture that has created some rust. So mainly I am cleaning up the barrels/chambers and coating them with RIG to help preserve them. The stocks will get cleaned up with some BLO/turpentine mixture to give them some life and help preserve them.

There are no real sources for blanks for the Krag, I assume and nor does the AL probably care. I am not sure what if ever they will do with the Krags but I hope to leave them better than i found them!!

Thanks again all !!!!Ike

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'General Ike': Those sound like good measures to preserve the American Legion rifles. Thank you for explaining and taking on this task.

The 'back story' on Griswold-Terry-Glover Post-803 is rather interesting. This American Legion Post was formed at Southold (Long Island, N.Y.), August 14, 1922.
The Post name honors three local men, who died in service from influenza, during the WW-1 period.

William Henry Griswold enlisted in the U.S. Navy and died in training 6/10/1917, from the flu.

Milton Reeve Terry was in the 25th Field Artillery and died at Camp McClellan (Alabama), 1/20/1919.

Graham Fredus Glover served on the U.S.S. Minnesota and died at the Philadelphia Naval Hospital, 1/13/1919.

American Legion Post-803 acquired its current handsome building in 1948.

IMO - It would be very appropriate if several of these Krag rifles could be displayed on a wall-rack, covered by a glass display case, in a prominent area of the Legion Post. That would be so cool!

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Can you post the serial numbers for our database? If you do not want to go through the actual adding process, one of us will do it for you. Thanks.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I am not a snitch or informant, but, out of curiosity, what entity do you think has ownership of American Legion Krag rifles, if a Post decides to get rid of them?

Were they purchased by the post or are they on loan from the U.S. Military?

If the Post no longer wants or has a use for their rifles, are the arms returned via the CMP?

(This post initially gave the 'error message').