RCBS 1010 calibration

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Culpeper

RCBS 1010 calibration

Post by Culpeper »

It got me to thinkin'. I wondered if my scale was messed up. I've never thought about whether it was calibrated before today. Just took for granted. I will presume the check weight is correct when it says it is 250 grains. Who knows if it is correct without going to the county weights and scales guys. So I rolled the counter weight to the right and it comes in at .45 grains off from balance.

Am I looking at this correctly?
Attachments
1010 check weight 250 grain.jpg
1010 check weight 250 grain.jpg (352.08 KiB) Viewed 1006 times
1010 check weight 250 grain less than 0 balance.jpg
1010 check weight 250 grain less than 0 balance.jpg (595.24 KiB) Viewed 1006 times
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Re: RCBS 1010 calibration

Post by butlersrangers »

It does not look like your 1/10th grain slide is quite fully 'zeroed' to the right.

(Also, your entire scale is, possibly, not level).

I believe the single "0" and index-line, on the vertical-scale, is to help you level the scale's body, when both counter weights are exactly set to 'zero'.

With both sliding weights set to zero on their scale, adjust the 'leveling screw' so that the beam pointer points to the "0" index-line.

Once the scale is zeroed and level, then you can check the scale's accuracy against the 250 grain weight in the pan,
by just moving the large sliding-weight to the 250 grain notch.

(FWIW - My Lyman-Ohaus scale is calibrated by the factory. There is no adjuster for correcting a weight error. The Scale only has a leveling-screw).
Attachments
not lined up.jpg
not lined up.jpg (670.35 KiB) Viewed 1001 times

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I should have mentioned the scale was leveled. That is the issue. The alignment marks are off. It I were to roll it so the mark is in line the counter weight would move to the right and show -.45 grains.

I am thinking the brass screw the counter weight is on has a slot that could/might/should be turned to adjust where the vertical marks line up. Then if the balance is still off weight could be added to the silver pan holder like some youtube vids show. Getting to the slot is a problem. It is blocked by a cross pin.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Call RCBS and ask!

GBertolet

Post by GBertolet »

The support that the pan rests on is filled with lead shot. A phillips screw opens it up. You can add or subtract shot pellets, to get your scale to level up. That's what the factory does. No need to send it back. Probably one or two #9's will do it for you. I have done this to my Ohaus 1010 (pre RCBS scale). The tab broke off my pan, so I needed to compensate. This is how I learned this.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I'll have to give it a try. Thanks much. As part of my insanity I went out and bought two check sets (a RCBS deluxe and standard). It give me the capability to set my loads at xxx.0 or xxx.5 accuracy. I don't think that is a problem unless I start to load pistol rounds which I have heard is something that requires strict attention.