Newbie Member says Hello!

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

Re: Newbie Member says Hello!

Post by butlersrangers »

'Ken' - Welcome to the KCA Forum. Glad you came aboard!
Attachments
Lt__Parker_Hitt_with_1897win_Mindanao.jpg
Lt__Parker_Hitt_with_1897win_Mindanao.jpg (233.02 KiB) Viewed 619 times

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Welcome to the Forum Ken! Glad to have you aboard!

Most of us reload... and the Krag is an easy rifle to reload for. Brass is available, as are bullets. Powder is hit and miss these days, although IMR 4350 seems to be available at the moment. Make sure you start with a good loading manual such as Hornady's (I have the 10th edition which is my loading bible). Krag's are funny beasts and not all like the same "food", so you may have to try several loads/bullets until you hit upon your pet load. You'll find no shortage of help in this endevor here at KCA. Above all... remember that Krag's will not tolerate "HOT" loads like other rifles... so keep it within the acceptable range (under 40,000 CUP)! My Match load that I shoot at Camp Perry in the Vintage is a 220 gr Hornday RN bullet with 40.0 grains of IMR 4350 and a CCI #34 milspec primer. This is very close to the original .30 Army (30-40) round that the Krag was designed to shoot... and it works well in my rifle!

Whig

Post by Whig »

Paul gave excellent advice about reloading. I would say, though, since the Krag is not a semi-automatic, you can use regular Large Rifle primers. I have never had any problem with them. I think some people find that the ammunition they load might be a little more accurate or precise with the CCI #34 military primers. Fine tuning is important when you shoot competitively like Paul does. I save my CCI #34 military hard primers for my Johnson 1941 rifle and Garand mainly. Others using 7.62x54R ammo I reload for with semi-auto actions get reloaded with #34s. Hornady's is a great reference. Find one you like, read it and stick with it if it has what you need.

Good luck!

kenm

Post by kenm »

Hi,
You may be our saviour.. We have zero ammo at this time.
We had figured to try and find a few rounds and then keep the precious brass ..
I really don't intend to shoot Krags alot (with ammo the way it is) it would be nice to be able to put a few rounds downrange.
And figuring the ammo situation maynot change quickly (we'd get some brass and try to do some future reloading.

So if you have some rounds and some brass we'd be grateful..
Hopefully, you can do a little better than the gunbroker (I was in sticker shock .. my buddy said his 50AE is cheaper to shoot)..

Thanks,
Give me a call if you get a chance (I'll PM you my number)

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

If you have .30-40 Dies, a Press, and reload, you can use .303 British brass to make .30-40 ammo.

The cases will be a bit short, but after sizing will chamber and hold .30 cal. projectiles.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

kenm wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:05 am Hi,
You may be our saviour.. We have zero ammo at this time.
We had figured to try and find a few rounds and then keep the precious brass ..
I really don't intend to shoot Krags alot (with ammo the way it is) it would be nice to be able to put a few rounds downrange.
And figuring the ammo situation maynot change quickly (we'd get some brass and try to do some future reloading.

So if you have some rounds and some brass we'd be grateful..
Hopefully, you can do a little better than the gunbroker (I was in sticker shock .. my buddy said his 50AE is cheaper to shoot)..

Thanks,
Give me a call if you get a chance (I'll PM you my number)
I'll tells ya what I kin do since there is a grandson in the mix. I can cut loose with two boxes and a bag of brass at a reasonable price. But if I find out you flipped it for huge profit we don't know each other. (my standard deal. Got burned ten years ago. No good deed goes unpunished, don' t you know.)

https://kragcollectorsassociation.org/k ... .php?t=678
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Paul... you are always the consumate gentleman!!! (or the group whack-O.... not sure yet, :lol: ) ;) Hey... You coming to Perry this year??? I still owe you that sandwhich and cup of coffee!!!

Kenm... beyond what you get from Culpeper... you can keep your brass going for a long time if you treat it well and occasionally anneal the case necks. I've been shooting the same brass for a few decades, with more than 20 reloads on some of it! As Whig stated, you don't need to use a milspec primer. I started loading using a CCI 200, but later switched to a CCI 250 (magnum) primer for a little more consistent burn with the slow IMR 4350. Again, find what works best for you and your rifle. Since you're in the Baltimore area... maybe you should come to Camp Perry during the CMP Games portion of the National Matches. I'll be there this year as usual, and you could take in a dinner with us! Camp Perry is in Port Clinton Ohio, within a days drive from Baltimore. Lots of great people to meet, stuff to buy on Vender's Row, and fun matches to watch! Hopefully, I'll actually drag Culpeper back this year too!!!
Something to think about anyway...

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

Welcome to the forums!

I have a couple of places to get Krag ammo that I will share — going rate is about $50 for 20 rounds:

- Wisconsin Cartridge, 30-40 Krag 150 gr SP 2500 fps (20 Rounds)(Reman)
I usually contact via email to ask when the next run is — they go pretty quick.

- LoadX 30-40 Krag 220 gr RN 1900 FPS (20 Rounds) (New)
It’s best to call LoadX at the listed number on the contact page — there was well over 1000 rounds in stock last I checked.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

psteinmayer wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:20 pm ... you are always the consummate gentleman!!! (or the group whack-O.... not sure yet, :lol: ) ;)
How about the group's consummate whack-O?

I'm good with all three. Remember life is too short to act like you ate a bowl of sour mice. Live and laugh.

Now the problem. What part of The Pile is the ammo under? Have to start digging.
Last edited by Culpeper on Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Hey Ken. What club are you a member? Is it the one up in Marriottsville? Shot there a couple of times centuries ago. Well, it seems like centuries.