The run up to Garand matches

Other Firearms
Culpeper

The run up to Garand matches

Post by Culpeper »

Took one of the Garands out for a bit of exercise. The goal was to set the rear sight on the center mark and get the front sight dead on left and right. Weather was overcast, forty to forty-five degrees, no wind to speak of. I ran out of staples and was working off one target at fifty yards. first clip was low and to the left. The second group after an adjustment to the front sight and two clicks up still gave a leftish group in the an inch or so up. That is when I drew the square and made another front sight change. I figured I was good left and right so I fired two more clips just to burn them up. The load was giving a lot of failure to cycle issues.

It's fun being out of work and have money in the bank.
Attachments
Garand front sight alignment.jpg
Garand front sight alignment.jpg (395.28 KiB) Viewed 3323 times
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Whig

Re: The run up to Garand matches

Post by Whig »

Is this a CMP Garand? What load are you shooting that you're getting failure to cycle from? I just was up at Camp Perry to visit the CMP store and walked out with two Garands after two hours! I only planned on one but brought some extra cash with me. Better than money in a (failing) bank!
Attachments
CMP2.JPG
CMP2.JPG (284.18 KiB) Viewed 3314 times
CMP1.JPG
CMP1.JPG (212.87 KiB) Viewed 3314 times

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Yup, CMP. A 3.6 service grade from 2000. The load was HXP brass, WLR, 175 SMK over 45 grains of IMR4895. I decided to bump it up to 47 grains on the next go round.

Maybe I am using the wrong term. The rifle would fire but would not pick up the next cartridge most of the time. Should I call it failure to feed instead?

Look like you got a couple of nice shooters. New wood and new barrel. What's not to like about that?

Whig: Hey Culpeper, check out my rifles.

Culpeper: You got yerself a couple of lookers. SQUIRREL!!!

Whig: Where? Where? Heeeeey. What happened to my rifles?!

Culpeper: :roll: Beats me. They were here before that squirrel showed up.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

Culpeper wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:01 am. . . Should I call it failure to feed instead?
"Short stroke" is one accepted term for bolt not coming back far enough to pick up next round.

Causes?
  • Rifle held loosely
  • Insufficient lube.
  • Dirty.
  • Not enough powder. (Most likely since 45 grains 4895 is pretty mild load.)

Whig

Post by Whig »

Wow! Look at that squirrel!

Hey, where's my new rifles go?

The wifey probably sold them for food...

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I was still having short cycle issues but not as much.

Causes?

Rifle held loosely ------ Death grip
Insufficient lube. ------- Slattered with Lubriplate
Dirty. -------------------- Clean as a baby's bottom (which is way cleaner than Biden's)
Not enough powder. (Most likely since 45 grains 4895 is pretty mild load.) ------ every thing else the same with a load of 47 Grains of IMR4895.

I was feeling optimistic so I shot out to 200 yards. It was a nice day.

And now for your viewing pleasure, Mesdames et Messieurs, I give you The Target!

First clip = Red
Second clip = Green
Third clip = Blue
Attachments
200 yard three clips.jpg
200 yard three clips.jpg (912.03 KiB) Viewed 3199 times

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

My load that I shoot in my Garand for matches is a Nosler 168 gr HPBT with 44.0 grains of H4895 (or IMR-4895, depending on powder availability) and a CCI #34 primer. This load has never failed me!

Ok, first of all, check your gas plug!!! I know it sounds silly, but my gas plug HAS come loose and led to feeding issues. Next, check your OAL. If mine are a hair too long, they will hang up in the mag well. Also, check your op-rod and make sure the tip isn't damaged (scratches or nicks). A dry action can also lead to short stroking (white lithium grease is all I use and I use it anywhere two parts slide together!).

Garands are a beautiful design... but they will become persnickety if things aren't just right.

Does this mean I'm gonna get to see my ole buddy this year???

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Culpeper can always blame his Winchester Large Rifle Primers :roll: !

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Oh don't you wish! :shock: :lol:

The WLRs work just fine in the HXP brass. Zero problems. I put the word out over on CMP. I did a good cleaning and will pick up a spring kit tomorrow.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Went to the range yesterday. Same Garand but with different op rod. Functioned perfectly. I still need to "dial" in the front sight. Then it is a matter of load development and lots of practice.

Took the K31 also. Still need to tweak the diopter and much more practice.
Attachments
P1030761 reduced.jpg
P1030761 reduced.jpg (444.28 KiB) Viewed 2729 times
P1030759 colored.jpg
P1030759 colored.jpg (669.81 KiB) Viewed 2729 times