You never know what will knock on your door

U.S. Military Krags
butlersrangers

Re: You never know what will knock on your door

Post by butlersrangers »

I don't think this is a U.S. Armory, Arsenal, or Depot 'refinishing job', because the metal components are uniformly refinished and the last wood finish has made the 1908 to 1918 period 'inspection-stamp' very faint.

It does look the way the original family member/owner probably desired.
Maybe, it once belonged to a competitive shooter or was used by a 'Color Guard' unit?
Lots of 1903 Springfields and M1 Garands, 'gussied up' by owners, Veterans' Groups & match shooters, have this look.

Ideas of gun beauty and proper preservation change.
Family stories and traditions pass through many 'filters', generations, and different interpretations of what exactly was said.

Tolerating some "Cognitive Dissonance" is 'OK' for harmony with others.

It is a nice and interesting Family Heirloom Krag! It is not 'For Sale'. Facts don't need to get in the way of a good story.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

In the end, I just want to provide good info to my friend! So we'll go with the rifle being refurbished at Benecia and leave it at that! I will tell him that it's likely that it was cleaned up at some point after it's military service... but I'm not going to push the issue of finishing/bluing because he wants to hold this dear as an heirloom for his family and that info isn't really important to him. Now... if he decides to leave it where it is (in my safe) for the remainder of time (which is unlikely)... well, then we'll discuss details at that time!

Thanks everyone!
Paul

Whig

Post by Whig »

That's the way I would leave it. great family treasure memories that should be left alone. Nice to hope it will be in your safe at some point!

MooseNugget

Post by MooseNugget »

A friend of my father’s left his Winchester Model 12 for safe keeping back in 1959 and never returned to claim it. It has been part of my collection for many years now! Just saying Paul that maybe??? 🤔

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I really was hoping he would say "Just keep it!" But... in talking to him yesterday, I told him all that we have discussed and he said he just wants to display it. Still, he wants me to hang on to it for now... and even said I should shoot it if I wanted (boy oh boy would I love to take it to Perry!). He said he has no interest in shooting it himself though. In the end however, I think he is going to want it back eventually.

When I go to the MAAC show next month (Chuck, you going to be there?), I've been asked to get him the missing stacking swivel and screw and a bayonet, and also maybe cleaning rod set and oiler and a sling too (I might just order him a sling from Turner).

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Paul - The next Michigan Antique Arms Collectors Show is April 22 & 23, 2023.

I will attend, but, haven't made plans yet about having a table.

BTW - "Granpa's Gun Parts" has the best deal (at $55 a set), that I know of, for a three-section cleaning rod & oiler.
Attachments
granpas.jpg
granpas.jpg (32.8 KiB) Viewed 640 times

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

butlersrangers wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:22 am Paul - The next Michigan Antique Arms Collectors Show is April 22 & 23, 2023.

I will attend, but, haven't made plans yet about having a table.
Dad wants to go on the 22nd, so you may just see us there. Don't know how long we'll be staying because he can't walk too far... but he'll have his walker and I may bring a wheel chair just in case. Either way... I hope we get to see you there!!!