1899 Krag Questions

U.S. Military Krags
butlersrangers

Re: 1899 Krag Questions

Post by butlersrangers »

'sgt1775' - Welcome to the KCA forum.

It does appear that most of your metal, (receiver, barrel, and barrel-band), is from a U.S. model 1899 carbine.
If your serial number is in the 353,XXX range, it is from a carbine that was assembled at Springfield Armory, around October, 1901.

As 'Culpeper' has stated, your carbine metal parts have been installed by a civilian owner or dealer into a 'cut-down' model 1898 rifle stock.
Culpeper is 'spot on' about the lack of a barrel-band spring and the butt-swivel being tell-tale signs of a cut-down rifle stock.

Also, that rectangular hole in your forearm-tip shows that this is a cut-down rifle stock.
(The void is caused by the stock's lightning channel being exposed. Carbine stock channels are cut differently).
Previously, the person who altered this stock probably filled that hole with a walnut wood plug. (It has since fallen out).

Your Krag's 'Value' will be influenced, in part, by your barrel's 'bore condition'.
Your Krag is basically worth the value of its parts.
I would estimate this to be around $500 to $600, maximum, but a sale might be difficult to realize at that price
Your 1896 rifle rear-sight and hand-guard, together, are worth about $200.

A 'loose' original model 1899 carbine stock is very hard to find. A reproduction stock is offered by "Prestigious Woods" in Canada.
Reproduction stocks require substantial hand fitting.
Original Krag handguards have gotten very expensive and usually get further inflated, by 'bidding wars'. Krag handguards have different sight-openings for the various rar-sight models.

The correct original rear-sight for your Krag is the model 1901 carbine sight. They show up on ebay, occasionally, and sell for $200 or higher. Rear sight mounting screws are specific to the various sights.

The 'knobless' or 'headless' cocking-piece was an economy move, tried on both rifles and carbines, from April 1899 to October 1900. It proved more expensive to make, so it was dropped. Collectors once thought it was an 1899 carbine feature, but this proved to be untrue. This part can be found on a variety of Krags, due to routine 'refurbishing' of Krags with serviceable parts.

Your carbine barrel-band is on backwards. The "U" is an assembly aid and should be on the right-side. Unfortunately, you will have to 'drive out' the retaining-pin to get it off the stock.

If you wish to take your Krag apart, first remove the rear-sight.
Then remove the barrel band and trigger-guard screws. Set the carbine 'upside-down on a table or bench and gently rock the stock, gripping the stock at the forearm and wrist. Weight and gravity will separate wood and metal.
Remove the handguard, which has strong 'spring-clips', by sliding it on the barrel toward the muzzle, where the taper allows easy removal.
DON'T SNAP THE HANDGUARD ON OR OFF THE BARREL! It is easily cracked.
Store the loose handguard with a Quarter twisted into the rear clip and a Penny or Nickle in the front one, to counter the spring-clip inward pressure.

(Reassemble things by reversing the process).

If I had your Krag, I would make a wood patch and 'plug' the forearm tip. I would purchase a rifle rear barrel-band, swivel and screw and replace the carbine band.
This would make a nice handy Krag 'shooter', with sling-swivels.
Another option would be to 'plug' the forearm tip, purchase a Krag (or 1903 Springfield) barrel-band spring, and fit it to your stock.
This would allow proper use of the carbine barrel-band. I would remove the butt-swivel and fill its mounting recess with a glued and shaped wood 'patch'.
(This would simulate a carbine stock, until a better solution presents itself).
Attachments
ang carb0.jpg
ang carb0.jpg (92.88 KiB) Viewed 698 times
ang carb1.jpg
ang carb1.jpg (202.46 KiB) Viewed 698 times
ang carb2.jpg
ang carb2.jpg (228.62 KiB) Viewed 698 times
ang carb5.jpg
ang carb5.jpg (143.88 KiB) Viewed 698 times
ang carb3.jpg
ang carb3.jpg (111.56 KiB) Viewed 698 times

sgt1775

Post by sgt1775 »

I appreciate all of the input! I didn’t entirely get taken for a ride and I will still enjoy it in the mean time. Thank you all.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I can make a day of it and travel to VA to have a look at your carbine.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'sgt1775' - I have found the 'short' Krags a lot of fun to tinker with and shoot.

It is harder now, but sometimes with patience and luck you may ultimately find the parts to restore a proper representative carbine.
Sometimes the components from two 'messed with' Krags can be 'recombined' to produce one correct Krag and one utility/shooter.

Attached is a photo of two model 1899 carbines, that I was able to reclaim from altered Krag 'Deer Guns'.

The attached sight photo shows the model 1901 type of carbine rear-sight, which was most likely used on your model 1899 carbine, when it was made.

Educating oneself about U.S. Krag models and parts will make it easier to spot potential opportunities, as well as, very lost causes.
BTW - If you use the KCA search feature, you can find all kinds of useful material on this forum, from past threads.
Attachments
a pair of 1899 carbines-1.jpg
a pair of 1899 carbines-1.jpg (329.12 KiB) Viewed 672 times
krag-1901C_007.jpeg
krag-1901C_007.jpeg (87.05 KiB) Viewed 673 times

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Was thinking the same thing

sgt1775

Post by sgt1775 »

Thank you all again for your input! I currently have nothing to feed the Krag, so she will stay locked up for the time being :)