Pictures for A Krag Book!

European Krags
svartkrutt

Re: Pictures for A Krag Book!

Post by svartkrutt »

How is the book coming along, done yet?
Always looking for antique Norwegian arms.

skillest

Post by skillest »

Far from done, but it's getting there! I'll give y'all an update:

The Danish section of the book is essentially complete, as I got hundreds of documents scanned from the Rigsarkivet in Copenhagen which aided in understanding the trials/experiments which led to the carbine models of Krag, their production, etc. I am traveling to Copenhagen this summer to examine some physical examples in museums and collections, as well as take photos of some of the experimental/trials Krag rifles. This was the most important section to me since there was virtually no information out there on these Krags outside of some articles from the 60s and 90s, and some US books, but some information presented in these are incorrect. However, I am still researching minor details that have eluded me for some time, and still getting some photography done. I still need some production information related to the Finskydningsgevær M/1928 and M/1928/33 rifles (of which there is little information available in the Danish archives, and no information yet found on production numbers). I also need literally anything for the Greenland Rifles. There are brief mentions of them in Danish articles, but it mostly consists of "I heard this" or "I heard that" or a paragraph saying "This rifle was created by the KGH for sale to the Inuit in Greenland", but no actual sources for where information on the rifles originates.

I and other researchers have inquired at the Danish National Archives, the Danish War Museum, the Danish National Museum, and the Greenland Arctic Archives for information on the Greenland rifles, and there has yet to be any primary information or documentation found on them. I also emailed the modern-day KGH who said they have no information on selling these styles of 11mm Krag rifles, yet the story behind them is that the KGH got Vaabenarsenalet to make them for sale in Greenland, so it's a mystery. If I can't find primary sources related to the Greenland rifle, the chapter is my book about them will essentially be based on second-hand information and stories about the rifles alongside comparisons between existing examples of rifle, which is not ideal, so if anyone knows more about them please let me know!

I still have to dive deep into the US side of the Krag story as I've been focusing on the Danish one for so long I've pushed most of the details related to US Krags out of my head. I have a rough draft for the American section of my book done, but I need to substantiate the claims in the book with primary sources, rather than secondary sources like Brophy/Mallory/Poyer etc. I don't want to regurgitate the information they provided in their books, plus, all these US Krag books seem to contradict each other in relation to how many rifles were produced, what a "true" model of US rifle is, when changes were made to rifles, etc. I have a large issue with some of these US Krag books and what they present to the reader. Some of these books have led to some people modifying their rifles to make them "correct", based on what is essentially made up "type-1" and "type-2" styles of firearm, categories created by researchers and not by Springfield. Joseph Farmer is the only one I know who has pointed this out in previous work, and its something I still need to read up on a bit. So, I am also traveling to the US later this year, visiting some kind folks from this forum to take photos of their rifles, and then going to Springfield and the National Archives in Boston to get the original documentation from Springfield. Then, I plan to get some information that was originally at Rock Island and compare them.

I also have a rough draft for the Norwegian section of my book done, but this falls into a similar trap to the US Krags section, where I need to get some original primary sources rather than relying solely on previous publications. Karl Hanevik has been a big help in answering questions I have about the rifles, and his Norwegian books on the subject are also fantastic, but I don't want that section of my book to be heavily reliant on his single publication, I need primary sources to base my claims on. So, I will have to plan a trip to several archives and museums in Norway for next year.

It's a lot of work still to go, but it'll be a great book once it's done (I hope!).

Whig

Post by Whig »

Quite the undertaking. I am always interested in new opinions and research regarding the US Krag firearms. I enjoy reading a lot of others' work but do not have the time nor resources to travel and do primary research which is necessary to write something new and fresh like Joe Farmer has done. His book is way under priced for the work he did and the information he gives. Having been a big collector of Krags for years, I appreciate what he has done and others who follow with original research. Good luck!

svartkrutt

Post by svartkrutt »

Sounds like you are on the way to an excellent book, hopefully it will be in color and that I can get a signed copy.
Also hoping that you will have information on the early "bolt hold open after the last round" that they had on the very early Norwegian Krags. I think it would make some interesting reading in that very few collectors (even in Norway) know it existed.
Always looking for antique Norwegian arms.

skillest

Post by skillest »

Whig wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:20 pm Quite the undertaking. I am always interested in new opinions and research regarding the US Krag firearms. I enjoy reading a lot of others' work but do not have the time nor resources to travel and do primary research which is necessary to write something new and fresh like Joe Farmer has done. His book is way under priced for the work he did and the information he gives. Having been a big collector of Krags for years, I appreciate what he has done and others who follow with original research. Good luck!
Thanks! I also agree, the information he provided is excellent. I contacted him to ask how to access the primary sources he used. Unfortunately, he told me the archival material from RIA has been moved to Carlisle Barracks, and, in my experience, they don't seem to want to reply to answer any calls or emails, so I assume it will be a while until I can get a look at those.
svartkrutt wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:45 pm Sounds like you are on the way to an excellent book, hopefully it will be in color and that I can get a signed copy.
Also hoping that you will have information on the early "bolt hold open after the last round" that they had on the very early Norwegian Krags. I think it would make some interesting reading in that very few collectors (even in Norway) know it existed.
I've written a bit about that in my book so far, and I plan on examining some examples that were made for the bolt hold open whenever I am able to.