Cole bullets

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
waterman

Cole bullets

Post by waterman »

At a gun show some years back, I bought a quart jar full of Cole bullets, 220 grain FMJ, all in excellent condition. IIRC, these were associated with the increased-velocity loads that cracked Krag bolts. And maybe caused some metal fouling problems.

Does anyone remember? My thought was to load them up and put them away for "emergency" purposes. Maybe even load them for my 03A3. Any suggestions?

Olpeddler

Re: Cole bullets

Post by Olpeddler »

Waterman, For the Krag cartridges, why not simply use a milder load than what the reloading manuals call for, which ought to protect against bolt lug cracking. As for the for the Remington WW2 '03, all I can say is 'be careful'. The 220gr bullets was never intended for that rifle even thought it has 3 lock-up lugs. I have an '03 Springfield made at the Springfield Armory in 1918. Compared to my M1 Garand reloads, my '03 reloads are real "kittens" of 43 grs of AA2520 below Hornady 165 gr BTSP Interlock bullets. Although metallurgy did improve some during the inter-war period, it just does not feel good to me to think of be pushing 220gr bullets through a WW2 Remington barrel originally developed for 150gr - 165gr .308 jacketed bullets.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Are they cupri-nickel? If so they caused extreme fouling at '06 velocities. The fouling was extreme and very difficult to clean out of the rifling.
I read an article about them others here seem to know more about the history.
Early Krag bullets were made from this material as it was thought to be necessary with smokeless cartridges. Evidentally they worked OK at Krag velocities, but 06 was too much with 150 grain slugs.
I have some aluminum bronze pieces here with a fair percentage of nickel, they are slightly magnetic unlike other brasses and bronzes. No clue if the early cupri-nickel jackets were magnetic.

waterman

Post by waterman »

Fred, it's the metal fouling that I'm most worried about. IIRC, FA loaded the .30-03 with cupro-nickel jacketed bullets and had fouling problems. The original .30-06 loads, 150 grain flat based pre-WW1 bullets were cupro-nickel. I think they had fouling problems also.

Maybe those Cole bullets were cupro-nickel plating over soft steel instead of some copper alloy. Right now, they are in the garage, under all the stuff that fell down in the Dec. 20 and Jan. 1 earthquakes. Been waiting for warm weather and some ambition to tackle that mess.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I seem to recall Major Culver wrote some about tinned bullets.

This may be it but I can't read it from my pos phone

When the tin can changed history
http://www.jouster2.com/sea_stories/whe ... istory.pdf
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio