Chattanooga Choo-Choo?

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

Chattanooga Choo-Choo?

Post by butlersrangers »

No ... "The General".

In 1862, Andrews Raiders, in a Yankee sabotage plot, stole a locomotive, 'idling' near Kennesaw Mountain, Georgia.
The disguised Union spies commenced to tear-up 'The Western, Atlanta & Atlantic' rail line, which connected Atlanta to Chattanooga.
This was the supply-line for General Albert Sidney Johnson's Army of Tennessee.

The plotters ran out of steam 20 miles short of Chattanooga. Within days, Andrews and his men were all captured and imprisoned.
The rail service was restored.
Some of the Ohio 'Raiders' escaped captivity. Some of the men were freed by prisoner exchange.
Andrews and seven others were executed in Atlanta.

The Congressional Medal of Honor was first issued to some of the escaped 'Raiders', who made it to freedom.
Eventually all of the men, who were soldiers, received the Medal of Honor (some posthumously).
Andrews and one other leader were civilians and not eligible for the Honor.

The eight executed 'Raiders' are buried near the entrance of Chattanooga National Cemetery.
The State of Ohio honored the bravery of her native sons, with the Locomotive capped monument.

The original "General" resides near Kennesaw Mtn. Georgia.

(Hey, Remember when "Disney" made us proud of our History)?

BTW - The access road goes through an industrial area, but looking south-east gives a view of the 1863 battle site, Missionary Ridge.
Attachments
Andrews Raiders.jpg
Andrews Raiders.jpg (453.38 KiB) Viewed 700 times
Disney 1956.jpg
Disney 1956.jpg (86.76 KiB) Viewed 700 times
missonary ridge battle.jpg
missonary ridge battle.jpg (174.26 KiB) Viewed 700 times

butlersrangers

Re: Chattanooga Choo-Choo?

Post by butlersrangers »

Maybe, I should steal a Confederate Train?
Attachments
Buster Keaton.jpg
Buster Keaton.jpg (223.17 KiB) Viewed 666 times
IMG_2511.JPG
IMG_2511.JPG (269.08 KiB) Viewed 666 times
Buster Keaton - The General.jpg
Buster Keaton - The General.jpg (27.94 KiB) Viewed 666 times

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

As a child... and even now as an old man, I LOVE that movie! It's an amazing story and well told in the film. One of these days, I'm going to make it down there to see the locomotive. I'm a huge steam locomotive fan too!

FredC

Post by FredC »

I do not remember any of this from school history and do not remember the movie either. So, thanks for the history lesson.

RicKrager

Post by RicKrager »

I think I saw the Buster Keaton film on Turner Movies. It was a good presentation. We were a mighty nation built through adversity. May the younger generations rediscover their heritage and treasure those people and events which built a strong national culture. Perhaps holding a Krag while being told the history of the events and arms will add to a balanced understanding of their world as it might be.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

There are actually two movies, Fred. Both are worth seeing.

The hilarious Buster Keaton silent comedy, "The General", and the Disney/Fess Parker drama, "The Great Locomotive Chase".

Lunch will never be the same after you've seen Buster Keaton's character, try to eat his noon meal, sitting on the 'driving-rods' of a steam locomotive!

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Worth seeing time and again. And without further ado, and for your viewing pleasure, I present the The General. Performed by the greatest comedy director of all time, Buster Keaton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzspLWK9FEc
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio