Springfield Armory in 512 pages

U.S. Military Krags
butlersrangers

Springfield Armory in 512 pages

Post by butlersrangers »

An Industrial History of Springfield Armory was commissioned by the National Park Service, in 1989.

Krag stuff is spread throughout. (The link takes quite a while to open).

http://npshistory.com/publications/spar ... istory.pdf

FredC

Re: Springfield Armory in 512 pages

Post by FredC »

Opened in about 3 seconds for me. I guess my rural cellular internet is fairly fast. Thanks T-mobile.
I will probably look at the further but pages 20 and 21 mention parts interchangeability which we have discussed here fairly extensively. They acknowledge that private companies did lead the charge on what the rest of the world called the "American method".

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Each chapter of this report highlights a topic, so the chronology gets repeated.
Aspects of the Armory and Krag manufacture are discussed in each chapter.

There is lots of discussion of management, buildings, power sources, machinery, and the evolution of manufacture.

It is a good overview of the history of Springfield Armory, so I posted the 'link'.

I don't think it is possible to post about Krag manufacture without being repetitive of past KCA discussions.

I find Springfield Armory fascinating and still have unanswered trivial questions concerning the process of Krag manufacture.
I do share what I find, to try and encourage discussion and new discoveries.

I find it regrettable that none of this Armory & manufacture stuff has ever been made into a "sticky" or permanent KCA thread or discussion topic.

FredC

Post by FredC »

I could see a big pile of stickies if that were done. Maybe an index with a link to the more important Krag related pages would be easier. I have no idea how hard it would be to make an index for this book like the serial number list.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Opened in about 3 seconds for me too. DRY, but utterly fascinating, especially to one with my family's history there (1809-1923). I very much doubt that I would find any personal reference(s) but it is easy to imagine them performing the tasks described.