1898 Krag Restoration Project

U.S. Military Krags
P0H0

Re: 1898 Krag Restoration Project

Post by P0H0 »

So I received back the Griffin and Howe quote today and it’s around $4750 for both rifles. At least it’s south of a standard Turnbull restoration in price — I am still running this through in my head. I was hoping for a quote of around $2500 — typical, it’s about double.

So, we all know the rifles will never be worth what I am putting into them for resale — but that isn’t the point at all. If I settle for a standard hot blue, I will always be thinking back to what they would have come out like with the Rust Blue and detail work from Griffin and Howe. Oh god, it’s gonna take about 12 months too — he did promise that I would most likely get them back in time for the 2024 CMP Nationals though.

Yes, there certainly is no limit on how much one can spend on firearm restoration…. I think when I finish I will have put around $3500 into each rifle (new barrels, stocks, etc.).

I guess I am going to have to put off buying that new M7 Sig rifle for another year — Daddy wants some pretty Krags!
Last edited by P0H0 on Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

They will be GORGEOUS, but, truly, different strokes for different folks! Granted that the cost exceeded your expectations, I'd have saved up my money and bought mint originals for that kind of financial outlay. The originals would hold their value, the rebuilds will only depreciate - I'm too cheap to live with that . . . :cry: :cry: :cry: but, I wish YOU the absolute best!

ebruce

Post by ebruce »

Wonderful post and thread. Very much enjoyed and appreciated. Have one Krag. Took a year to get it just about back to issue condition. Hope your rifles will give you a double helping of enjoyment! Will continue to follow with interest. Sincerely. bruce.

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

Dick Hosmer wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:00 am They will be GORGEOUS, but, truly, different strokes for different folks! Granted that the cost exceeded your expectations, I'd have saved up my money and bought mint originals for that kind of financial outlay. The originals would hold their value, the rebuilds will only depreciate - I'm too cheap to live with that . . . :cry: :cry: :cry: but, I wish YOU the absolute best!
I get what you are saying, and I respect your opinion — However, I set off on this adventure to restore two rifles. For what I have planned, I would feel guilty using a premium rifle to start with. Instead I selected bottom of the heap rifles (with good metal) knowing they would need new stocks, barrels, and parts. New rifle length barrels were not easy to find BTW — makes me wonder when they will quit producing them. This is indeed a learning experience for me, and as you pointed out it is more expensive than just out right buying a premium rifle — but I am willing to roll with it as I will keep both rifles in my collection and pass them on to family.

I am sure that I will have some other Krags of the premium variety that are not restored in my collection as well… But those premium riles will be for looking at and imagining — these restored rifles will be a glimpse back in time with no imagination required and great shooters as well.

Think of it this way, two rifles at the end of their life have been restored for future generations to enjoy — one of which didn’t even have a stock or barrel. The pool of rifles will continue to decline each year (no thanks to many being parted out for profits). Eventually there will not be many Krag rifles left and even less people with the knowledge and appreciation of this group.

I will also use this experience to help inform further restoration projects I will be undertaking — and also some with their own restoration project that happen to stumble across this thread.

Plus I am damn interested to see what Griffin and Howe can do.
Last edited by P0H0 on Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

ebruce wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:01 pm Wonderful post and thread. Very much enjoyed and appreciated. Have one Krag. Took a year to get it just about back to issue condition. Hope your rifles will give you a double helping of enjoyment! Will continue to follow with interest. Sincerely. bruce.
Thanks! It’s a waiting game now — I was told it will be about 10 or 12 months to complete. You may think that is a long time, but I will point to two other rifles I have out being restored with a longer elapsed time (M1 Early Carbine (2+ years), and a 98K (+1 year). Fortunately, both rifles are due back in a few weeks.