Ammo and component availability getting better?

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Culpeper

Re: Ammo and component availability getting better?

Post by Culpeper »

Speaking about availability...

Powder Valley has Hornady has 220 grain round nose seconds for sale.

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product ... 0-bullets/

I don't load for them but I know some of you fellas do. This is a good chance to save a few bucks.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

waterman

Post by waterman »

What makes them "seconds"? Surface blemishes? Inconsistent weight? Off-color jackets? Jacket material too soft? That would give fouling problems. Inconsistent diameters? If you sort them, that might not be a problem.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I wouldn't know. Could be blemishes, coloring or something just a bit of spec from machine setup. I bought some 175 seconds a few months ago. Aside from a hand full of 168s in a thousand 175s they all looked and shot good. Yeah I weighed each one in the lot.

Of course past performance does not guarantee future results. You rolls thee dice and takes yer chances.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

misanthrope

Post by misanthrope »

Brownells has Hornady 220 grain round nose .30caliber bullets in stock. I just ordered 200.

FredC

Post by FredC »

I saw an advertisement in a Remington email about limited quantities of discontinued ammo available. I had to click on it to make sure 30/40 was not on the list.
Mostly had specialized pistol self-defense ammo. 45/70 was on a list of available stuff underneath. That was good to see.

https://click.email.remington.com/?qs=9 ... 9c61eeab1d

MooseNugget

Post by MooseNugget »

Many of the large sports outlets are having Father’s Day sales ( Cabela’s, Sportsman’s Wharehouse, etc.).

FredC

Post by FredC »

We were called out to structure fire last night. Our job was to contain the grass and weed fires running away from the structures. Near the end while mopping up some of the outbuilding fires we heard some ammo popping off. We were in a position to throw some water on the trailer (it was down wind) and put it out pretty quick. I heard some of the district 5 guys talking about how many hundreds of pounds of ammo were stored outside, I guess in a weatherproof box? The calibers were mentioned I remember 06, 300 Win mag, 223, and several pistol calibers.

Hoarders --- got so much ammo that have to store it outside. GRR!!!

At least Culpepper stores his in underground bunkers and only buys when there is a surplus. :-)

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Hundreds of pounds? I have thought about this for a couple of minutes. I'm thinking I've been sitting on a ton and a half of ammo and components. That darn lead in all its glory and various shapes and sizes adds up rather quickly. I bought six of the four can crates from the CMP back in the day. The crate was marked 72 pounds. Well, that's on the far leading edge of 425 pounds. Plus I donated twenty-two 192 round single 192 cans to M1 for Vets and a couple of good friends of mine many years ago. That pushes another 330 pounds on to the scale. Maybe it is two tons.

The weight creeps up on a person over a period of twenty-five years and it's not just my belly either. Hurray for tunnels and bunkers.

Whig

Post by Whig »

According to CNN and MSNBC, a couple bricks of .22LR constitutes an "arsenal". "Thousands of rounds of ammo!"

I wonder what they would say about a couple tons...

waterman

Post by waterman »

Solutions for your brass problems: I was recently on a cartridge collectors forum where a guy posted a photo of a .303 British full length blank made for the movies, for use in a machine gun. The whole case had been formed from a W-W .300 H&H fired empty. If someone can turn a belted magnum into a .303 Brit, there is hope for our Krag brass.