FWIW - Conflicting Data

U.S. Military Krags
Dick Hosmer

Re: FWIW - Conflicting Data

Post by Dick Hosmer »

We fabricated BLTs for ourselves for dinner tonight! Delicious! I always put more bacon in the pan than needed for the sandwiches - gives me a little snack as I cook!

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Dick Hosmer wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:51 am I always put more bacon in the pan than needed for the sandwiches - gives me a little snack as I cook!
Me too Dick!

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

When were the last Krags produced?
pix468503505.jpeg
pix468503505.jpeg (119.81 KiB) Viewed 825 times

Whig

Post by Whig »

Lots of debate about when the last Krag was assembled at Springfield Armory and what the highest serial number is. I have a sporterized Krag with serial number 482709, 100 higher than the one you posted. Bill Mook's list of serial numbers ends with a November 1903 manufactured Krag serial number of 505999.

I don't have my references and notes with me to see what Joe Farmer says about these late Krags but some people have researched these late ones and found some high numbers. It's always an interesting topic.

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Other questions to ask:
How many receivers were made with serial numbers and never assembled into a complete firearm? How many were skipped with higher number serial numbers being assembled into a firearm? How many were used for repairs of previously assembled firearms?

When were the last firearms built? The fiscal year 1907 Ordnance reports shows that 341 gallery rifles were built. But none were reported between then and November 1903 in these annual reports.

King carp

Post by King carp »

Were these recievers serial numbered before or after proof firing? If after i wonder how many rifles never made it into service because they failed?
Last edited by King carp on Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

From what I gather following this forum, and somebody correct me if I'm wrong, serial numbers were put on receivers before they were assembled into firearms. Firearms were not built in consecutive serial number order, which makes things difficult to be exact when determining when a Krag-Jorgensen firearm was "born" and had its a$$ slapped (proofed).

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

All U.S. Krag barrels were proofed with a special cartridge, (not of .30-40 dimensions), before they were even rifled and before outside contouring.

I believe the actions also were proofed before lettering and numerals were applied.

Likely, a percentage of completed Krag rifles and carbines were subjected to a 'test firing' (in a fixture) with high pressure cartridges.
If my conclusion is correct, this was a test to assure the quality of a 'batch' of arms and steel lot(s) used during a period of production.

waterman

Post by waterman »

butlersrangers wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:02 pm All U.S. Krag barrels were proofed with a special cartridge, (not of .30-40 dimensions), before they were even rifled and before outside contouring.

I believe the actions also were proofed before lettering and numerals were applied.

Likely, a percentage of completed Krag rifles and carbines were subjected to a 'test firing' (in a fixture) with high pressure cartridges.
If my conclusion is correct, this was a test to assure the quality of a 'batch' of arms and steel lot(s) used during a period of production.
I don't remember reading about this in any Krag history, but it makes sense. I think the European proof houses did this. The barrels must have been turned to the maximum OD of a Krag barrel at the breech and threaded with standard Krag threads. HWS, Vol. 1, pp 91-92 gives the cartridge details. The bullet for the original proof cartridge was a cylindrical lead slug .295" diameter, weighing 225 grains. It was loaded into the barrel to be proofed ahead of a blank cartridge. The original proof cartridge was a rimmed & tapered blank case 2.285 " long, with no neck. Head diameter in front of the rim was 0.444". Proof cartridge dimensions were changed in Dec. 1896, and again in March, 1897. The March 1897 dimensions must have been standardized for the remainder of Krag production. Rim dia. was .518". Head dia. .433". Neck dia. .318". Case length 2.3025". Bullet diameter .294". The 1897 proof bullet was a round nosed, flat based lead slug with no lubrication grooves. All proof cartridges were manufactured at Frankford Arsenal. Early loads had 49 grains of Wetteren smokeless in a compressed load, giving 100,000 psi. Later loads were 36.1 grains of a DuPont powder, at an unspecified but high pressure.

Grunt221

Post by Grunt221 »

So, I have a receiver with 481562 serial number.
Any insight out there?
Attachments
Highest serial number
Highest serial number
IMG_0163.jpeg (679.44 KiB) Viewed 664 times