FWIW - Conflicting Data

U.S. Military Krags
butlersrangers

Re: FWIW - Conflicting Data

Post by butlersrangers »

Grunt221 - Your model 1898 action is likely from a rifle made toward the end of Krag production.
Some higher numbered examples are known in the 482K range.
It appears to be drilled & tapped for a Weaver 'off-set' scope-mount. The #2 side-mount base and detachable mount show up on eBay, pretty often.

Bill Mook's calculations place serial number 481562 as being produced around September 1903.

Dick Hosmer

Re: FWIW - Conflicting Data

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Whig wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:13 pm Lots of debate about when the last Krag was assembled at Springfield Armory and what the highest serial number is. I have a sporterized Krag with serial number 482709, 100 higher than the one you posted. Bill Mook's list of serial numbers ends with a November 1903 manufactured Krag serial number of 505999.

I don't have my references and notes with me to see what Joe Farmer says about these late Krags but some people have researched these late ones and found some high numbers. It's always an interesting topic.
Guess I missed this - thought top number was in the 489000 range. Is that legit, as in he owned it and took pictures, or Bill's educated guess? Don't believe I have EVER run across any reference to a number above 500000 anywhere else before. I have mislaid my Farmer book, but I would believe whatever it says.