Action Wrench

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
GcS

Action Wrench

Post by GcS »

Does anyone happen to have a source for an action wrench that I can purchase/rent before trying to fashion one from a 1.25"-7 nut? Which wouldn't be so bad if I had a mill rather than just a Dremel, hacksaw, files, and sandpaper. :roll:

butlersrangers

Re: Action Wrench

Post by butlersrangers »

Here is a schematic for a Krag 'action-wrench', (actually, it's more of an adapter), made from a large 1.25"-7 nut.
The adapter is used with a large wrench, in conjunction with a barrel-vise.

The beauty of this adapter is that it does not compress the 'receiver-ring'.
If the interior surface of the nut is very smooth, (after the threads have been removed), it does not scratch or mar the surface of the receiver-ring.

The adapter also avoids 'squeezing" or compressing the receiver threads into the barrel threads.
(Pressing these threads into tighter engagement increases the effort needed to remove a barrel).

It would be splendid if a talented machinist, with the right equipment, made a bunch of these Krag wrench/adapters for sale at reasonable cost.
Attachments
Krag Wrench JPEG.jpg
Krag Wrench JPEG.jpg (22.63 KiB) Viewed 12009 times
barrel_chg4.jpg
barrel_chg4.jpg (47.27 KiB) Viewed 12009 times
Rcat action wrench adapter.jpg
Rcat action wrench adapter.jpg (371.35 KiB) Viewed 12009 times

GcS

Post by GcS »

I've seen that one and trying to make it using hand tools is plan B. Unfortunately the machinists I know are all retired.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

GcS - Do you have a pending project involving a Krag 'rebarrel'?

Here are photos, that I saved, of an interesting wrench used by someone on a Norwegian Krag rebarrel.
It appears to have worked.
Attachments
norwegian 2.jpg
norwegian 2.jpg (34.24 KiB) Viewed 11983 times
norwegian 3.jpg
norwegian 3.jpg (26.31 KiB) Viewed 11983 times

GcS

Post by GcS »

I do have a project. Recently picked up a stripped 1898 receiver and have had a Criterion carbine barrel that's been sitting on a shelf for a few years.

That wrench would be far simpler to fabricate. And it looks like the handle is aluminum stock rather than steel. My other thought was to possibly shim the receiver ring with a piece of thin lead sheet and then use a Rem 700/Savage 110 action wrench but I'm not sure whether the difference between the two receiver ring diameters is sufficient for that to work.

FredC

Post by FredC »

JMallon

Post by JMallon »

Hi all, new member and this is my first interaction on here. Im glad i stumbled across this particular thread because i have also been working on a couple of 1898 Krag builds that required barrels to be torqued down. I work at a CNC machine shop and just a week or two ago we got a program written to machine the adapter hex pieces. We only made 2 to start so i could test them (they worked great on my 1898 sporter project) but we already have material set aside if theres intrest in us making a run of them. I cant seem to get any of the pictures to load but the ones we made are out of 2" steel hex. Looking forward to interacting on the forums here as i get further into my krag projects!

Whig

Post by Whig »

Welcome to KCA! You have some experience to hopefully share with us and we know lots about Krags to share with you. Fred is our resident machinist here.

It would be best to start a new thread about your interests here and projects you're working on. You have posted in someone else's post and might not get the attention you need.

If you need help, please ask. Good luck. We would love to see pictures of your Krags and what you are working on.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'JMallon - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

After you have made an initial post on the KCA Forum, subsequent posts will allow the attachment of pictures.

Keep attachments below 1 MiB. (200 to 300 KB works fine)!