Strange Markings???

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Benjamin 1975

Strange Markings???

Post by Benjamin 1975 »

Hi, I am new to the forum!

I recently purchased a 1898 shortened barrel 24". There are 5 v cuts on top of the receiver ?? When I took apart to clean, I notices some initials on front of the receiver too.

Anyone ever seen these before?

Thanks all!
k3.jpg
k3.jpg (400.38 KiB) Viewed 12745 times
K2.jpg
K2.jpg (469.9 KiB) Viewed 12745 times
k1.jpg
k1.jpg (965.25 KiB) Viewed 12745 times
k4.jpg
k4.jpg (642.37 KiB) Viewed 12745 times

butlersrangers

Re: Strange Markings???

Post by butlersrangers »

Benjamin - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

The five 'notches' on your Krag's receiver are most unusual. I have never seen that before and can offer little in terms of a logical explanation.
(Maybe some curious civilian owner was testing the extent and depth of the Krag's case hardened 'heat-treat')?

The 'hieroglyphics' on the front of your receiver's magazine area are frequently seen inspection stamps.
There were something like 126 machining operations that turned a 6 & 1/2 pound forging into a 1 & 1/2 pound finished Krag receiver.
There were numerous sub-inspections as the receiver took shape.
Attachments
front 1892.jpg
front 1892.jpg (300.92 KiB) Viewed 12741 times

Benjamin 1975

Post by Benjamin 1975 »

Thank you for the information.

I'm baffled about the "v" notches...

FredC

Post by FredC »

The spacing between the mystery notches looks close to being symmetrical. Heat treat testing is usually done by pressing a ball into the metal and measuring the penetration. I would guess if someone was testing the hardness depth of the case, they would grind a flat then test that depth and do it again at a greater depth. The spacing makes me think that a mystery attachment was used that needed regular notches. Can not even begin to guess what that would be.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Maybe a hunter decided to notch the receiver instead of the stock for his best bucks

Benjamin 1975

Post by Benjamin 1975 »

Yeah, I thought maybe notches for each buck, but they are symmetrical. Used to attach something, but I don't see what and how.
Maybe ancient aliens..

This is my 1st Krag. Taking it apart now for a good cleaning. 30-40 is impossible to find in CA, so I will have to load my own. It is a beautiful piece of machinery, I can't wait to take it to the range. Maybe go pig hunt too.

I am happy I found the forum. Thanks KCA.

MooseNugget

Post by MooseNugget »

The mind could sure come up with some crazy answers:

Tooth marks from a bear attack?

Blade marks from a soldier blocking downward thrust from a Kris sword used by a drug crazed Moro?

First experimentation efforts by the Picatinny Arsenal for a new mounting system leading to the development of the picatinny rail?

Angry first time Krag owner who couldn't figure out how to remove the bolt...pre-YouTube of course?

Since the notches are so evenly spaced I'm guessing they were used for some kind of sight mounting system?
Last edited by MooseNugget on Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Benjamin 1975

Post by Benjamin 1975 »

I thought some improvised sight set up. Baling wire and a scope? Gonna remain a mystery I guess.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Most scope mounts, devised for the U.S. Krag, position the scope 'off-set', slightly to the left.
Typically, Krag commercial mounts were anchored, with three or four screws, using holes that had to be drilled & tapped into the left receiver wall.
(I don't think the notches on this Krag served to anchor a 'functioning' scope & mount or a sight onto the rifle for shooting or Hunting).

I have a different 'hunch':

Most early sporting rifle scopes had rather primitive optics and very little adjustment for eye-relief and focus.

The position of mounting holes, (on any rifle), could vary greatly, due to the scope & mount used and the eyesight of the gun owner.
Useful scope and mount location had to be established mainly by trial and error.

Maybe this Krag was a 'Try Gun' or 'shop gun', used by a gunsmith, to allow practice sighting and arrive at the proper scope position for individual customers?

A bolt diameter shaft or tube, with scope rings attached, could replace the bolt and be 'locked' at one or two of the various notches.

This might facilitate 'custom' fitting a scope & mount position for a customer.
The location could then be measured and transferred to the patron's actual rifle, (Krag or any other design), for proper mounting of the chosen scope.

Just a theory???

(When scopes began coming into more common use, in the 1920s, they were expensive and required custom mounting. There were no factory drilled holes or 'grooved' receivers).
Attachments
IMG_9939.JPG
IMG_9939.JPG (262.13 KiB) Viewed 12622 times
a weaver-10.jpg
a weaver-10.jpg (104.43 KiB) Viewed 12622 times

Benjamin 1975

Post by Benjamin 1975 »

That would make sense.

The guy I bought it from said the marks were probably something from the Spanish American War. I didn't want to insult his intelligence and tell him it was manufactured in 1902. But, for $550 it was a good deal.